Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Philippines to keep close watch on power sector players

Philippines to keep close watch on power sector players

Content image - Phnom Penh Post

Philippines to keep close watch on power sector players

The Philippine Competition Commission (PCC) and the Department of Energy (DOE) on Tuesday signed a memorandum of agreement to collaborate against anticompetitive and collusive behaviour among energy players, with those found guilty liable to fines of up to 250 million pesos ($4.8 million) and jail time of up to seven years.

In a statement, PCC said the partnership was meant to promote market competition and coordinate investigations in the power sector.

“[We] share a common vision of a more robust competition landscape in the power industry,” PCC chair Arsenio M Balisacan (pictured, PCC) said.

“With the energy department having the technical assets and ensuring proper functioning of the energy sector, we are confident this complementation of efforts with PCC’s own investigative capacity will lead to a stronger push for competition enforcement.”

Being the country’s competition authority, PCC is mandated to prohibit anti-competitive agreements and conduct in all sectors of the economy and impose fines and penalties for violators.

For its part, DOE is responsible for implementing policies that ensure reliability, quality and security of electricity supply.

Under the MOA, the two partners are committed to help each other in terms of information sharing, investigation support, technical audits, joint task forces and continued capacity-building and consultations.

Balisacan said the agreement also paves the way for the creation of a technical working group to coordinate investigation efforts into alleged collusion or abuses of dominance in the energy sector.

“Ensuring consumers are provided adequate supply of electricity on fair terms and prices while allowing market players of all sizes to operate on a level playing field is at the centre of our partnership,” he added.

In April, PCC said it would look into allegations of possible collusion or abuse of dominance of certain power generators following “simultaneous shutdowns that may have caused an artificial supply shortage and consequently a hike in electricity prices”.

The Energy Regulatory Commission (ERC) has announced neither a wrap-up nor findings of an investigation that it was conducting. ERC officials said both new and aging power plants in the Luzon grid were among those that suffered forced or unscheduled outage as well as those undergoing scheduled maintenance.

Despite the plant outages, Manila Electric Co has lowered its overall rates twice – for the May and June billing cycles – at a total of 46.76 centavos (0.9 US cents) a kWh.

Meralco, which accounts for about three-quarters of power demand in Luzon, said generation charges had been going down in the past two months due to the strengthening of the peso against the dollar as well as lower fuel prices. PHILIPPINE DAILY INQUIRER/ASIA NEWS NETWORK

MOST VIEWED

  • Virus tops 84 with new cases in S’ville

    The Ministry of Health on Sunday night confirmed another 31 cases of coronavirus infections, bringing the Kingdom’s total to 84 and it highest daily tally. There have been no fatalities thus far. The latest cases were found in 29 French tourists and their two Cambodian tour guides

  • Kingdom’s virus toll tops 84, Cambodians in Thailand rush home

    The Ministry of Health on Sunday night confirmed another 31 cases of coronavirus infections, bringing the Kingdom’s total to 84 and its highest daily tally. There have been no fatalities thus far. The latest cases were found in 29 French tourists and their two Cambodian tour guides

  • NBC calls for cashless payments

    The National Bank of Cambodia (NBC) has urged government ministries, financial institutions and the public to conduct cashless payments via electronic systems where possible to combat the spread of Covid-19. “To contribute to the prevention of Covid-19, the National Bank of Cambodia encourages financial institutions

  • CEO held for fraud in Siem Reap

    Over 200 individuals gathered in front of the Siem Reap Provincial Court last week to ask that Dim Suonnath, the CEO of a real estate company being held for fraud, take responsibility for compensating some 2,000 residents who invested with him. The request was denied. Suonnath responded

  • Ministry calls for home schooling

    Minister of Education, Youth and Sport, Hang Chuon Naron appealed to parents of students to provide home education in a proper environment and help them obtain more learning materials. The ministry also allowed schools to take a premature vacation after several people tested positive for

  • Cross-border deal inked to maintain trade amid Covid-19

    Cambodia and Vietnam have agreed to allow cargo trailers to enter the common Bavet-Moc Bai border, located in Cambodia’ Svay Rieng province (Bavet) and Vietnam’s Tay Ninh province (Moc Bai) after movement restrictions were enforced to prevent a Covid-19 outbreak. The decision was made