Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - PM welcomes move to shut down Latvian PBN Banka

PM welcomes move to shut down Latvian PBN Banka

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Prime Minister Krisjanis Karins welcomed PNB Bank’s closure. GEOFFROY VAN DER HASSELT/POOL/AFP

PM welcomes move to shut down Latvian PBN Banka

Latvia's prime minister on Friday welcomed a decision by European authorities to shut down the Baltic state’s bank PNB Banka after they determined that nothing could prevent it from failing.

“The whole banking business in Latvia is becoming more stable and secure, and this particular decision shows that the European Central Bank (ECB)’s oversight is strong and effective,” Prime Minister Krisjanis Karins told the LETA news agency.

The eurozone member has been scrambling to reform its banking sector after a string of high profile corruption and money laundering allegations in recent years.

PNB Banka itself was fined for money laundering by Latvia’s financial regulator in 2017 after a joint probe with the US’ Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) found it had been used to circumvent international sanctions against North Korea.

The bank, Latvia’s sixth largest with €550 million ($610 million) in assets, is being shut down for undercapitalisation.

PNB Banka “was failing or likely to fail” according to a statement by the ECB late on Thursday.

The bank has been directly supervised by the ECB since May, and central bank officials decided its amount of available capital had deteriorated “to the point that the bank’s assets were less than its liabilities”.

The ECB then informed Europe’s Single Resolution Board, which in turn determined “that resolution action is not necessary,” and PNB Banka should be liquidated, an SRB statement said.

“The Latvian bank will be wound up under national law,” SRB added.

The SRB was created in 2016 to deal with failing eurozone banks by spreading the cost of dismantling them across the zone’s entire banking sector.

Several ailing eurozone banks have thus disappeared, including the sixth biggest Spanish bank, Banco Popular, which was acquired in 2017 by rival Santander.

Latvian Finance Minister Janis Reirs said Friday that PBN owes its clients 300 million euros.

“The government-run Deposit Guarantee Fund will step in to help the clients recover their money. Up to €100,000 for each client,” he told Latvian public broadcaster LTV.

Certain clients have more money tied up in the bank, including the second city of Daugavpils, whose mayor Andrejs Elksnins told LETA that city taxpayers could lose up to €1.3 million as a result.

The bank, which until last year was known as Norvik Banka, has been owned by Russian businessman Grigoriy Guselnikov since 2013.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Courts’ decisions now published as reference source

    The Ministry of Justice has published 44 verdicts from civil litigation cases which can be used as models for court precedents and for study by the public and those who work in pertinent fields. Publication of the verdicts on December 31 came as the result of joint

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • China firm to develop Mondulkiri airport

    Tourism to the Kingdom’s northeast corridor could experience a remarkable metamorphosis after the government decided in principle of a Chinese company to study and develop a proposal to build a regional-level airport in Mondulkiri province, according to industry insiders. The Council of Ministers said