Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Prasac logs share capital increase

Prasac logs share capital increase

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Prasac's Head-office along street 271, Phnom Penh. SUPPLIED

Prasac logs share capital increase

Bond-listed Prasac Microfinance Institution Plc on June 17 said it increased its registered share capital to $300 million from $230 million to achieve a sound financial position to gain the public’s confidence.

The increase is distributed among four shareholders – KB Kookmin Bank in South Korea, The Bank of East Asia Ltd (BEA) in Hong Kong, Lanka Orix Leasing Company Plc (LOLC) in Sri Lanka, and Prasac Staff Co (PSCo), Prasac said in an announcement.

Prasac executive vice-president Say Sony said the capital increase “proves” that Prasac has a strong position to sustain its robust growth of customers, investors and public trust.

“Prasac is pleased for the official approval obtained from the National Bank of Cambodia and the Ministry of Commerce on the increment of the registered capital.

“The additional capital is the key to build more public trust and stems from our strong business growth through offering full-fledged financial services according to customers’ needs as well as the flexibility of terms and conditions of products and services and digital financial services,” he said.

Sony told The Post on June 17 that since 2008 Prasac has raised its registered capital eight times, to $3.75 million in 2008, to $20 million in 2012, to $47 million in 2014, to $72 million in 2015, to $110 million in 2016, to $168 million and then to $230 million in 2019, and now to $300 million.

As of March 31, Prasac’s total assets amounted $3.74 billion, total loan portfolio totalled $3.22 billion and outstanding deposits reached $2.15 billion, he said.

“We hope that clients will feel more secure and confident in us. The robust liquidity and capital position ensures that Prasac is able to weather any stress arising from changes in the operating environment, such as the ongoing Covid-19 situation,” Sony said.

In mid-April last year, KB finished paying $603.4 million for a 70 per cent stake in Prasac and plans to buy the remaining 30 per cent stake in Prasac two years after the transaction and finalise the acquisition.

On May 5 last year, Prasac listed a corporate bond on the Cambodia Securities Exchange, allocating 1,272,000 shares in the public offering, with a total issue amount of 127.2 billion riel ($31 million).

MOST VIEWED

  • PM imposes nationwide Covid restrictions, curfew over Delta scare

    Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28 instructed the municipal and provincial authorities nationwide to strictly enforce Covid-19 measures including curfew for two weeks from July 29 midnight through August 12 to stem the new coronavirus Delta variant. The instruction came shortly after he issued a directive

  • Two luxury hotels latest quarantine options for inbound travellers

    The Inter-Ministerial Committee to Combat Covid-19 has designated two luxury hotels as alternative quarantine options for travellers who wish to enter Cambodia through Phnom Penh International Airport – Sokha Phnom Penh Hotel & Residence and the Courtyard by Marriott Phnom Penh. In a notice detailing guidelines issued

  • Provinces on Thai borders put in lockdown amid Delta fears

    The government has decided to place several border provinces in lockdown for two weeks in a bid to prevent the new coronavirus Delta variant spreading further into community. According a directive signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28, the provinces include Koh Kong,

  • Visa A holders get to quarantine at Himawari Hotel

    The Ministry of Health has permitted foreign diplomats, UN and International NGO officials to undergo quarantine at Himawari Hotel in the capital in case they do not have a separate place suitable for this purpose, but the government would not be responsible for the expenses.

  • Jabs for kids bring hope for school reopenings

    Cambodia is tentatively planning to reopen schools – at least at the secondary level – when the vaccination of children aged 12-17 is completed, even though daily transmissions and deaths in other age groups remain high. Schools across the country have been suspended since March 20, one month

  • China denies Mekong hacking

    As the US and its allies joined hands last week to expose what they allege to be China’s Ministry of State Security’s malicious cyber activities around the world, the attention also turned to Cambodia with the US Department of Justice claiming that four