Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Private sector loath to stump up cash for tourism promotion

Private sector loath to stump up cash for tourism promotion

Private sector loath to stump up cash for tourism promotion

PRIVATE sector representatives say they are reluctant to contribute US$2 million in cash to a public-private initiative to support Cambodian tourism promotion.

The Ministry of Tourism has already contributed $2 million to the National Tourism Promotion Board, and has called on the private sector to contribute an equal amount, said Ang Kim Eang, president of the
Cambodian Association of Travel Agents yesterday.

“The private sector has already given the feedback to the government – we have to pay a number of taxes,” he said. “We don’t think the private sector should come up with any amount of money for the tourism promotion board.”

The association was instead considering contributing ‘in kind’ rather than cash, through making hotel rooms and rental vehicles available for the board.

“Probably we can do it that way,” said Ang Kim Eang on the sidelines of the annual CATA meeting in Phnom Penh yesterday.

“We are doing some campaigns to collect [contributions] in kind.”

Promoting tourism often requires paying for buyers, such as travel agents, to sample local tourism with the aim of garnering favourable reviews and generating business.

Ang Kim Eang said the process could be quite expensive, and added that he supported the idea of a promotion board.

The association is preparing for the 30th ASEAN Tourism Forum, to be held in Phnom Penh later this month.

So far, some 990 “buyers” have registered, far more than the 400 that were planned.

“It’s quite expensive because [the government and the board] have to pay for air tickets for the delegates,” he said. Minister of Tourism Thong Kong could not be reached for comment late yesterday.

MOST VIEWED

  • Body of woman killed in Bangkok returns

    The Cambodian embassy in Thailand is working to repatriate the body of a casino dealer who was shot dead in Bangkok on Monday night. Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation spokesman Kuy Kuong told The Post on Wednesday that officials are preparing paperwork to

  • Chikungunya hits 15 provinces, says gov’t

    Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said on Thursday that the chikungunya outbreak in the Kingdom has spread to 15 provinces. Some 1,700 people are now suspected to have the disease. Vandine urged people to prevent its further spread by eliminating shelters for the Aedes aegypti mosquitoes

  • Gov’t exempts visa A and B holders from Covid fees

    Airline passengers who are diplomats and officials of international organisations holding Type A and B visas for travel to Cambodia are exempted from paying Covid-19 testing fees, said the Ministry of Health in its latest adjustment of rules on Wednesday. Health Minister Mam Bun Heng

  • Bill covering dress code draws ire

    Ministry of Interior secretary of state Ouk Kim Lek responded on Tuesday to criticism concerning a draft law that would ban women from wearing overly revealing clothing, saying that input from all parties will be considered as the law moves through the promulgation process. Several

  • Passing the test: Is Cambodia’s education system failing its people?

    The Kingdom’s education system needs to grow its people but some flaws might stifle​ this growth Coming from the Khmer Rouge occupation, with the loss of many scholars and academicians and a collapsed government, the education system had to be reconstructed from scratch – one

  • What’s the deal with Cambodia and China’s FTA?

    Cambodia’s Free Trade Agreement (FTA) with China kicks off a series of FTAs in future but for now, critics wonder what else the parties could bring to the table apart from what it already has to date By the end of this year, Cambodia