Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - qb launches a 2G network

qb launches a 2G network

qb launches a 2G network

110503_9
Employees of mobile service provider qb man a promotional tent on Sothearos Boulevard in Phnom Penh yesterday. qb has just announced its launch of a 2G mobile network in the Kingdom.

Service provider qb has launched a second-generation mobile network in Cambodia, according to Chief Executive Officer Alan Sinfield.

The firm has operated a 3G network since its startup in 2008, but its new 2G service now provides qb with nationwide coverage, he said yesterday.

Sinfield declined to discuss the launch in detail yesterday, pending a formal announcement later in the week. The firm is currently running a number of promotions to attract a variety of new customers, he said, and he wanted to measure their impact before discussing the 2G initiative.

Yesterday, Marc Einstein, an Asia Pacific telecommunications analyst at Frost & Sullivan based in Japan, who follows the Cambodian market, said qb’s attempt to leapfrog 2G service by launching with 3G had met with some difficulty, as 3G services were too expensive for the bulk of Cambodians.

He noted the level of competition in the Kingdom, calling it “the most saturated [telecoms] market in the world.“

A Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications presentation from January this year listed qb’s owner Cadcomms as a holder of a 3G licence only.

Following January’s merger between Smart Mobile and Star-Cell, five Cambodian GSM operators hold licences to provide both 3G and 2G service, while Beeline does not hold a 3G licence, the presentation showed.

Beeline General Director Gael Campan did not return request for comment yesterday. In March, Campan wrote that Beeline operates its EDGE technology at speeds that were better than many 3G+ operators in the domestic market.

Vimpelcom – the owner of Beeline – is looking to “beef up their market share” in Southeast Asia, Einstein said yesterday.

In March, Amsterdam-headquartered Vimpelcom completed its purchase of a 78 percent stake in Laos’ Millicom Lao Company for US$88 million, and last month announced financing of up to $500 million for its Vietnam joint venture, GTEL-Mobile.

MOST VIEWED

  • US to ramp up sanctions after ‘flawed’ national polls

    At a press conference on Wednesday, the US State Department announced that it would expand visa sanctions on the Cambodian officials and individuals it deems responsible for “undermining democracy” in Cambodia. At the briefing, spokesperson Heather Nauert reiterated that the department regarded the July 29 elections

  • US names new ambassador to Cambodia

    US President Donald Trump on Friday appointed W Patrick Murphy as the new US Ambassador to Cambodia, replacing incumbent William A Heidt. A press release posted on the White House’s website said nominee W Patrick Murphy is currently acting principal deputy assistant secretary at

  • Kingdom is at a crossroads between East, West after poll

    It was dubbed a success by caretaker prime minister Hun Sen after the electoral victory of his Cambodian People’s Party (CPP), which is poised to take all seats in the National Assembly. But the July 29 national election has not been positively looked at by

  • Final poll results confirm first single-party Assembly

    IN an unprecedented situation in Cambodian politics, the official results of the July 29 national elections have declared that the Cambodian People’s Party (CPP) will take all 125 seats in the National Assembly on the back of it receiving 76 per cent of the votes. The National