Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Rail cars en route to Kingdom

Rail cars en route to Kingdom

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A Royal Railway train waits at the railway station in Phnom Penh in 2016. Three new trian carriages from Mexico are set to arrive in the Kingdom in October.

Rail cars en route to Kingdom

Three new train carriages ordered from Mexico for the Kingdom’s rail services will arrive in October, an executive of Royal Railways said.

The Royal Group subsidiary, which in 2010 won a 30-year concession to operate and upgrade the Kingdom’s rail network, began running a new service in mid-April from the capital’s city centre to Phnom Penh International Airport.

Though the new carriages were expected in June, Royal Railways CEO John Guiry said on Tuesday that delivery had been pushed back four months. However, he said the carriages were soon to be put on a ship bound for the Kingdom.

“The carriages have left the factory in Mexico and are now at the port, ready to be shipped. They could take between six and eight weeks to arrive and should be here in mid- or late-October,” he said.

Guiry said two of the three new carriages will be used for the airport route, while the third will be used occasionally on the Poipet- and Sihanoukville-bound journeys.

Free until November

Since its launch earlier this year, the airport train route has drawn complaints from residents living along the tracks, noting the noise pollution and traffic accidents.

Ministry of Public Works and Transportation spokesman Va Simsorya said that the new train carriages will be more modern and would change the perceptions travellers have toward the service.

“We hope that the new carriages will help to increase the number of passengers and reduce some of the negative impacts of the service,” he said.

From the city centre’s train station on Monivong Boulevard, the train currently takes around 35 minutes to reach the airport. It departs at 40-minute intervals from 5:30am to 2:30pm. Guiry said an average of 1,500 passengers utilise the service daily.

Fares have been waived until the end of October for the train route to the airport. But Guiry declined to disclose the fares that would be charged from November.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting