Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Royal Group plan for Sihanoukville beach cleared of businesses remains a mystery

Royal Group plan for Sihanoukville beach cleared of businesses remains a mystery

Flattened makeshift stalls litter the ground after they were torn down by authorities in April 2016 at Ochheuteal Beach. Photo supplied
Flattened makeshift stalls litter the ground after they were torn down by authorities in April 2016 at Ochheuteal Beach. Photo supplied

Royal Group plan for Sihanoukville beach cleared of businesses remains a mystery

More than a month after businesses on a prime stretch of Occheuteal Beach were told to pack up and leave, officials in Preah Sihanouk province are still unaware of local conglomerate Royal Group’s plans for the space.

Evictions on the beach began around Christmas time, as business operators who were renting space near Sihanoukville’s central ferry station were told their contracts would be up and they would have to leave by early January.

Prak Visal, director of the province’s Administration Department, said early last month that the development was a joint venture by Royal Group, headed by powerful tycoon Kith Meng, and an unknown Chinese company. Reached yesterday, Visal said he had just returned from a mission abroad and still did not know any of the project’s details.

Deputy Provincial Governor Kong Vitanak, the provincial spokesman, said yesterday he was not in charge of the coastal development project and declined to comment.

Chhin Seng Nguon, another deputy governor who is in charge of the coastal development project, said the space was “under the management of Kith Meng”, and declined to answer further questions about the plans.

Representatives from Royal Group could not be reached yesterday.

Sihanoukville has become the epicentre of growing tensions between Chinese investors and Cambodian business owners in recent months. Complaints from residents in the coastal capital, who say they are being pushed out by Chinese investors, prompted the government to establish a working group to address the topic and even drew comment from the usually tight-lipped Chinese Embassy earlier this month.

MOST VIEWED

  • Two luxury hotels latest quarantine options for inbound travellers

    The Inter-Ministerial Committee to Combat Covid-19 has designated two luxury hotels as alternative quarantine options for travellers who wish to enter Cambodia through Phnom Penh International Airport – Sokha Phnom Penh Hotel & Residence and the Courtyard by Marriott Phnom Penh. In a notice detailing guidelines issued

  • Visa A holders get to quarantine at Himawari Hotel

    The Ministry of Health has permitted foreign diplomats, UN and International NGO officials to undergo quarantine at Himawari Hotel in the capital in case they do not have a separate place suitable for this purpose, but the government would not be responsible for the expenses.

  • Baby saved as mother is lost to Covid

    Newborn baby Neth David has had a rough start in the world. His mother, Vong Daneth, was seven months pregnant when she contracted a severe case of Covid-19. When it became clear to her doctors that she would not survive, they performed a cesarean section

  • Jabs for kids bring hope for school reopenings

    Cambodia is tentatively planning to reopen schools – at least at the secondary level – when the vaccination of children aged 12-17 is completed, even though daily transmissions and deaths in other age groups remain high. Schools across the country have been suspended since March 20, one month

  • Hun Sen: Get 12-17 age group ready for Covid jabs

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has told parents of children aged 12-17 in Phnom Penh and the provinces of Kandal and Preah Sihanouk to get them ready for vaccinations soon. “There is a need to vaccinate children and youths aged 12 to 17. According to the statistics provided

  • Covid rattles Phnom Penh’s retail landscape through H1

    The Covid-19 pandemic has rocked the retail landscape in Phnom Penh, with anxiety around infection risk keeping the masses away from shopping malls and driving retail consumption down by nearly five per cent in the first half of this year, compared to July-December 2020, according to