Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Rubber projects on hold

Rubber projects on hold

Rubber projects on hold

Controversial Vietnamese rubber giant Hoang Anh Gia Lai (HAGL) has suspended part of its operations in Ratanakkiri province amid an investigation by the World Bank’s investment arm into claims of land grabbing, a company memorandum reveals.

The April 28 announcement states that three projects in Ratanakkiri province – Heng Brother Project, CRD Project and Hoang Anh Oyadav Project – will be suspended from May 1 to November 30. The statement does not cite a cause for the suspension, but notes the decision follows an April 2 meeting with the Compliance Advisor Ombudsman at the World Bank’s International Finance Corporation (IFC).

“During the reclamation suspending period, the subsidiaries are only allowed to tidy up and to collect the branches of trees in the already reclaimed areas prior to 28 April 2014,” the company memo says.

In February, 17 indigenous communities who accused HAGL of land grabbing in their home villages in Ratanakkiri province filed a complaint with the IFC – which invests in the rubber producer via an intermediary fund called Dragon Capital Group.

The Post reported last month that the IFC’s compliance ombudsman had launched an investigation into the agricultural giant’s rubber plantations after meeting with villagers in early April.

Eang Vuthy, executive director of NGO Equitable Cambodia, which is working with affected families, welcomed the company’s suspension as a positive step towards a resolution, but said the stoppage did not cover all the areas that need to be addressed.

“We would like to see the company halt all clearance at all affected communities, not just 13 as indicated in the announcement,” he said in an email yesterday.

“Also, we would like to see the company put a stop on planting rubber trees on the disputed land, lands that have already been cleared, until the disputes are appropriately addressed.”

Last year, UK-based NGO Global Witness published a report accusing HAGL of illegally logging outside concession areas and being in possession of at least 47,000 hectares of economic land concessions – almost five times the legal limit.

The IFC, Deutsche Bank and, later, Credit Suisse were all singled out for investing in HAGL. Deutsche Bank subsequently divested, while Credit Suisse claimed that its holdings predated the Global Witness report.

A spokesperson for the IFC’s Cambodian office labelled the intervention as a mediation process, rather than an investigation, before referring specific questions on the action to the Washington-based watchdog carrying it out.

The compliance ombudsman did not immediately respond to questions from the Post yesterday.

HAGL could also declined to comment on the matter.

Despite the recent progress towards a resolution, affected villagers contacted yesterday were cautious of a process that has been a long time coming.

“They just suspend it, but we still are not allowed to do anything on our land,” said Sol Sophat, a farmer from Malik village in Ratanakkiri province, who was forced from his home in 2012 to make way for one of HAGL’s rubber projects.

HAGL’s partial suspension of production comes just weeks after Bloomberg reported that the agricultural giant was planning an expansion of its business in Cambodia.

The April 21 report quoted HAGL chief executive officer Nguyen Van Su as saying that the company would harvest corn in Cambodia this year, with further investment planned in food commodities to support increasing demand across the region.

ADDITIONAL REPORTING MAY KUNMAKARA

MOST VIEWED

  • No payment required for travellers taking rapid Covid tests on arrival

    Ministry of Health officials said there would be no payment required for the rapid Covid-19 tests given to travellers who arrive in Cambodia from November 15 onwards after the quarantine requirement is lifted for fully vaccinated people. Health ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told The Post on

  • General’s gun smuggling ring busted

    The Military Police sent six military officers to court on November 22 to face prosecution for possession of 105 illegal rifles and arms smuggling, while investigators say they are still hunting down additional accomplices. Sao Sokha, deputy commander of the Royal Cambodian Armed Forces and commander of

  • More Cambodians studying in US

    The number of Cambodian students studying at US colleges and universities in 2020-21 increased by 14.3 per cent over the previous year despite the Covid-19 pandemic, according to a recent US government report. The 2021 Open Doors report on International Educational Exchange showed that 848 Cambodian students studied

  • Cambodia, Thailand to discuss border reopening

    Cambodian authorities from provinces along the Cambodia-Thailand border will meet with Thai counterparts to discuss reopening border checkpoints to facilitate travel, transfer of products and cross-border trade between the two countries. Banteay Meanchey provincial deputy governor Ly Sary said on November 22 that the provincial administration

  • Prince Norodom Ranariddh passes away at 77

    Prince Norodom Ranariddh, the second son of the late King Father Norodom Sihanouk and former First Prime Minister of Cambodia, has passed away in France at the age of 77. “Samdech Krom Preah Norodom Ranariddh has passed away this morning in France just after 9am Paris-time,”

  • Police arrest Canadian with 167kg of drugs

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Court on November 15 placed a Canadian national in pre-trial detention in connection with smuggling and possessing 167kg of illegal drugs. Deputy National Police chief in charge of anti-drug enforcement Mak Chito told The Post on November 15 that the man was arrested