Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Samsung loses out to Chinese players

Samsung loses out to Chinese players

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
An Uber taxi driver shows the app on his Samsung mobile during a protest against a ban on online taxi services in New Delhi, India on December 12, 2014. ANINDITO MUKHERJEE/REUTERS/THE STRAITS TIMES

Samsung loses out to Chinese players

After being defeated by Chinese rival Xiaomi in India, Samsung Electronics again was deprived of its “number one” title in smartphone shipments to Thailand in the final quarter of last year, losing the top position to Chinese firm Oppo, a market researcher’s report showed on Thursday.

The South Korean tech giant sold over one million phones in the October to December period in Thailand, accounting for 21.1 per cent of the second-largest market in Southeast Asia, according to Singapore-based tech industry tracker Canalys.

Oppo shipped around 1.1 million units of affordable models during the same period and took up 22.2 per cent of the market.

China’s biggest mobile phone vendor Huawei came in third, followed by another Chinese player Vivo.

US tech titan Apple ranked fifth with an 8.6 per cent share.

The market researcher concluded high-end smartphone manufacturers like Samsung and Apple are struggling to maintain their leadership in markets like Thailand where midrange phones are widely preferred due to fierce price competition.

“As in other markets, Samsung is taking steps to respond to the price competition from Chinese players by overhauling its midrange strategy,” the report said.

Samsung lost its top position in India that it held since 2012 to Xiaomi in terms of annual smartphone shipments last year, said Counterpoint Research in a recent report.

The company is preparing to launch a new mid-range model M series to regain its market share in India, the world’s second-biggest smartphone market after China. THE KOREA HERALD/ANN

MOST VIEWED

  • Police seek arrest of Chinese ‘gang’

    Cambodian police remain on the lookout for 20 Chinese nationals who earlier this month posted a video clip threatening to stoke insecurity in Preah Sihanouk province, though the Chinese Embassy in Phnom Penh maintained the group posed no threats to Cambodia’s national security. National Police

  • Rapper deletes song critical of Cambodian social issues

    A young musician has deleted from Facebook and YouTube a rap song that was critical of Cambodia’s social issues and announced that he will stop singing the song after officials visited his home in Siem Reap province and allegedly gave him a warning. Provincial

  • Man arrested for fake PM endorsement

    The owner of currency exchange company GCG Asia Co Ltd was temporarily detained by the court yesterday for attempted fraud after Prime Minister Hun Sen reacted to the company using his name and pictures to allege his endorsement of the firm. Phnom Penh Municipal Court

  • Sihanoukville authority orders structure dismantled

    The Preah Sihanouk provincial administration has ordered owners of two unauthorised construction sites to immediately dismantle them and warned of legal action if the owners failed to comply. Ly Chet Niyom, development management and construction bureau chief at the provincial hall, told The Post on