Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Samsung shuts down smartphone plant in South Korea

Samsung shuts down smartphone plant in South Korea

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Samsung Electronics Co Ltd said it would ensure smooth supplies of the devices by keeping the lines operating longer than usual in the coming week. AFP

Samsung shuts down smartphone plant in South Korea

Samsung Electronics Co Ltd’ smartphone production facility in South Korea’s Gumi city in North Gyeongsang province was shut down over the weekend due to a confirmed case of the new coronavirus that causes Covid-19, industry sources said on Sunday.

The Gumi facility, 202km south of Seoul, consists of two production lines for network equipment and premium smartphones, including the latest Galaxy S20 series and the foldable Galaxy Z Flip.

A female employee in her 20s who worked on the smartphone line was diagnosed with Covid-19 on Saturday morning. Reports say she visited Daegu city on February 16.

The tech giant sent a message to all employees across the country, notifying them that the Gumi plant would be shut down until Monday morning for disinfection and other preventive measures.

Since the Gumi plant is the only facility that produces smartphones mostly for the domestic market, the temporary shutdown raises concerns about supplies of the new phones.

The first batch of pre-ordered Galaxy S20 devices is scheduled to be shipped out on Thursday. The phones’ official launch date is March 6.

The Galaxy Z Flip, the foldable device that launched to much fanfare February 14, is also manufactured in Gumi. While Samsung churns out over 90 per cent of its smartphones for overseas markets in Vietnam, some of the smartphones produced at the Gumi plant are exported to other countries.

“Delays in delivery of unlocked phones that were ordered last week seem inevitable,” said a sales manager at a Samsung retail shop.

But the company said it would ensure smooth supplies of the devices by keeping the lines operating longer than usual in the coming week.

“The shutdown was limited to the weekend, which had a limited impact on productivity,” said a Samsung official. “There won’t be any problem in supplying [phones].”

Industry insiders say the Covid-19 outbreak could have a greater impact than expected on sales.

All three mobile carriers in South Korea have cancelled offline events to promote the new Samsung smartphones. Some were replaced with online events.

Samsung has also scaled back hands-on events to promote its latest devices.

During a press conference held on February 11 after the Samsung Unpacked event in San Francisco, the company’s mobile business head, Roh Tae-moon, pledged to minimise the impact of the disease on supplies of the Galaxy S20 and Z Flip.

“So far, we can’t say we have no difficulty in terms of supply chain management.

“We will keep monitoring closely and do our best to minimise the impact on the new products,” Roh said.

THE KOREA HERALD/ASIA NEWS NETWORK

MOST VIEWED

  • Would you like fries with that? US burger chain makes Phnom Penh debut

    California-based The Habit Burger Grill restaurant chain is all set to serve up a delicious array of charbroiled burgers and sides at its newest international location in the centre of Phnom Penh. The Habit is “renowned for its award-winning Charburgers grilled over an open flame,

  • Banteay Meanchey flood victims receive aid

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday provided aid to more than 10,000 families affected by flooding in Banteay Meanchey province’s Mongkol Borei district and offered his condolences to the 18 victims who drowned in the province over the past week. He said flooding had occured in

  • Angkor provides ‘valuable’ water storage

    The Apsara National Authority (ANA) has stored millions of cubic metres of water at reservoirs in the Angkor area after Cambodia experienced a series of rainstorms over the last few days. The storing of the water, besides serving temple conservation, will also be used to

  • PM urges caution as Polish man tests positive for Covid

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday reported that a 47-year-old Polish man tested positive for Covid-19 after arriving in Cambodia on Monday. There are a total of six Covid-19 patients currently in the country, all of whom are being treated at the Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hospital

  • Banteay Meanchey floods kill one more as death toll reaches 15

    As floodwaters start to recede in Pursat, Battambang and Pailin provinces and Phnom Penh, Banteay Meanchey continues to bear the brunt as one more person was killed on Monday, bringing the total number of flood-related deaths to 15 in the province this month. Banteay Meanchey provincial

  • Serving coffee with a side of robots

    The eye-catching glass building surrounded by greenery at the intersection of Streets 371 and 2002 in Phnom Penh’s Sen Sok district is more than just another coffee shop where you can while away a few hours. UrHobby House cafe is filled with robots and characters from