Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - South Korea’s SpaceX lunar project is postponed to 2022

South Korea’s SpaceX lunar project is postponed to 2022

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The South Korean government’s plan to use a SpaceX projectile to search the orbit of the moon has been postponed to July 2022. SUSAN CIPRIANO/PIXABAY

South Korea’s SpaceX lunar project is postponed to 2022

The South Korean government’s plan to use a SpaceX projectile to search the orbit of the moon has been postponed to July 2022, the Ministry of Science and ICT said on Tuesday, amid lingering disputes over the projectile’s weight and design.

During a press briefing in Sejong city, the ministry announced that it had decided to delay the lunar projectile’s launch by 19 months. The projectile was supposed to be launched in December next year.

According to the government, there had been disputes among space experts about the ideal weight of the projectile at an early phase of the lunar programme. The debate became more intense when the government decided to choose the SpaceX projectile over a home-grown one in 2017.

“Our project was delayed because we can’t bridge the gaps between the researchers,” Choi Won-ho, a ministry official, told reporters. “There has been a clash of opinions whether a 678kg projectile can carry out the mission.”

According to the government’s new lunar search programme, the weight of the projectile would increase to 678kg from its previous 550kg. The changed plan also called for the projectile to search the moon in a combination of circular and oval orbit.

Now that the government has changed the projectile’s weight and orbit path, the lunar search project is expected to require more budget. It is expected to be more than 16 billion won ($14 million).

Since the former Roh Moo-hyun administration vowed to send a projectile for lunar orbit search by 2020, there have been many ups and downs in the project. The subsequent Park Geun-hye administration moved up the timeline to 2017, but later pushed it back to 2018. THE KOREA HERALD

MOST VIEWED

  • Forest rangers seek 1,210 rifles after serious attacks

    The Ministry of Environment sought permission from the Ministry of National Defence to arm municipal and provincial rangers with 1,210 rifles in response to one of its rangers being killed and two others critically assaulted while out on patrol in Mondulkiri and Kampong Thom provinces. In

  • Rainsy stopped in Paris from boarding Thai flight

    Airline officials at Paris’ Charles de Gaulle airport on Thursday prevented Sam Rainsy from boarding his flight to Bangkok ahead of his announced return to Cambodia on Saturday. Prime Minister Hun Sen had earlier in the day assured Phnom Penh residents that there would be

  • Analyst: Rainsy blocked from boarding flight 'an excuse'

    THAI Airways not allowing Sam Rainsy on its route from Paris to Bangkok on Thursday is being used as an excuse to keep his standing among fellow coup plotters and his uninformed supporters as flights to non-Asean countries are available, an analyst said on Friday.

  • Rainsy lands in Malaysia

    Cambodian opposition figure Sam Rainsy arrived in Kuala Lumpur airport on Saturday afternoon after boarding a flight from Paris, where he has been living for more than four years. Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation spokesperson Koy Kuong said on Saturday that Cambodia respected

  • Prayut indicates no entry into Thailand for CNRP’s Rainsy

    Cambodian government officials on Wednesday welcomed the position of Thai Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha after he indicated that Sam Rainsy would not be allowed to return to Cambodia through Thailand. “According to our commitment to Asean, we will not interfere in each other’s internal

  • Sokha continues call for dropping of charge after bail conditions reduced

    Not satisfied with having his bail conditions reduced, allowing him to travel freely in Cambodia, Kem Sokha says he wants his charge totally dropped. “As an innocent man who has been in detention for two years even without being found guilty, I continue to demand