Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Standard Chartered to pay $1.1B Iran sanctions settlement

Standard Chartered to pay $1.1B Iran sanctions settlement

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A man walks into a branch of Standard Chartered. PHILIPPE LOPEZ/AFP

Standard Chartered to pay $1.1B Iran sanctions settlement

Standard Chartered will pay $1.1 billion to settle charges it processed transactions that violated US sanctions on Iran and flouted anti-money laundering requirements, US and British regulators announced on Tuesday.

The British bank moved through hundreds of millions of dollars of US transactions from Iran and other sanctioned countries, said US Treasury officials, who were joined in the action by other federal and state agencies.

Britain’s Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) – which worked with the US bodies – punished the bank for doing little to detect and counter the laundering of funds that may have come from crimes or which could have been used to finance terrorism.

“Standard Chartered’s oversight of its financial crime controls was narrow, slow and reactive,” said FCA Enforcement and Market Oversight director Mark Steward, who said the fine would have been “even higher” if the bank had not cooperated with the probes.

The British portion of the fine amounted to £102.2 million ($133.7 million).

A statement from the bank described the violations as “historical”, adding that the “vast majority” of the problems predated 2012 and that none occurred since 2014.

“The circumstances that led to today’s resolutions are completely unacceptable and not representative of the Standard Chartered I am proud to lead today,” said Standard Chartered Group CEO Bill Winters.

“Fighting financial crime is central to what we do and who we are – we do not tolerate misconduct or lax controls and we will continue to root out any issues that threaten the trust we have built over more than 160 years.”

The FCA listed a number of flagrant instances in which the bank’s money laundering controls fell short.

In one case, the Dubai branch opened an account for a customer with three million UAE dirham ($815,000) in cash, apparently without investigating the source of the funds.

The bank also did not sufficiently question a customer who exported a commercial product with potential military application to 75 countries, including two that had armed conflicts or where conflict was likely, the FCA said.

The penalties also cover some $600 million in US transactions from 2008 to 2014 that originated at Standard Chartered’s London and Dubai offices and went through its US branch, the New York State Department of Financial Services said in a statement.

US regulators said a majority of the problem transactions violated US sanctions on Iran, with a smaller number involving Syria, Sudan, Cuba and Myanmar.

The US Department of Treasury said the agreement requires the bank to conduct regular risk assessments and provide ongoing sanctions compliance training.

Other US bodies joining the agreement included the Federal Reserve and the Department of Justice, which extended a previously-written deferred prosecution agreement with the bank for two years.

“Global financial institutions serve as the first line of defence against money laundering and the financing of terrorist activities and those that fail to foster a strong compliance culture will be held accountable,” said Linda Lacewell, acting superintendent of the New York agency.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry requests school opening

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport on Thursday said it would request a decision from Prime Minister Hun Sen to allow a small number of schools to reopen next month. Ministry spokesman Ros Soveacha said if the request is granted, higher-standard schools will reopen

  • Kingdom eyes India FTA, China deal set for August

    Cambodia is studying the possibility of establishing a bilateral free trade agreement (FTA) with India to open a new market with the second-largest regional economy. This comes as an FTA with China is scheduled to be signed next month while similar negotiations with South Korea

  • Judge lands in court after crashing into alleged thief

    Sen Sok district police on Thursday sent a Koh Kong Provincial Court judge to the Phnom Penh Municipal Court on manslaughter charges after he crashed his car into a woman riding a motorbike on Wednesday, killing her. District police chief Hour Meng Vang told The

  • Preah Vihear court drops charges against villagers

    The Preah Vihear Provincial Court has dropped all charges against eight ethnic Kuoy villagers who were in a land dispute with the Hengfu Group Sugar Industry Co Ltd since 2014. Wednesday’s decision was made by the judge who tried the case on June 10. The eight

  • Gov’t to boost Siem Reap tourism

    The Ministry of Tourism released the results of an inter-ministerial committee meeting concerning Siem Reap province’s Tourism Development Master Plan for 2020-2035 on Wednesday, revealing the government’s plan to improve the overall tourist landscape there. The meeting was attended by Minister of Tourism

  • Residents ordered to remove structures on Phnom Penh’s canal

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng has ordered authorities to act against the perpetrators who built houses along the Luo 5 canal in Meanchey district. The municipal administration plans to create a committee to solve the matter. The order was given on Wednesday while Sreng led

  • ‘On the offensive’: Cambodia to load up on loans to stimulate economy

    As the dust settles on the economy, Cambodia comes to grips with what needs to be done to turn the economy around, starting with a big shopping list for credit ‘We are going on the offensive,” Vongsey Vissoth, Ministry of Economy and Finance permanent secretary

  • Eighty replacement peacekeepers set for Mali mission despite Covid

    Eighty Cambodian blue helmet soldiers who completed the peacekeeping mission under the UN umbrella in Mali will return to Cambodia on Friday, said the Centre for Peacekeeping Forces spokeswoman Kosal Malida. “To protect their families and communities from the Covid-19 pandemic, the 80 are required to

  • Government set to make up for cancelled April holiday

    The government is set to make up for a five-day Khmer New Year holiday late this month or early next month. The holiday was earlier cancelled due to the onset of Covid-19. The announcement is expected on Friday as the government is studying a range

  • Families told to register for cash handouts

    The government has called on poor families to apply to commune authorities for evaluation to receive financial support during the Covid-19 crisis. A $300 million budget has been planned for implementation within a year. Ministry of Economy and Finance secretary of state Vongsey Visoth said this