Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Telecoms warned over ID lapse

Telecoms warned over ID lapse

Cambodian migrant workers arrive in the border city of Poipet after crossing the Thai border into Banteay Meanchey province
Cambodian migrant workers arrive in the border city of Poipet after crossing the Thai border into Banteay Meanchey province earlier this month. Vireak Mai

Telecoms warned over ID lapse

Senior government officials yesterday issued a stern warning to the country’s largest mobile operators, claiming they handed out SIM cards to migrant workers returning from Thailand without getting their proper identification.

According to deputy national police commissioner Chhay Sinarith, Metfone, Smart and Cellcard started giving out the donation packages, which included SIM cards with free credit, to migrants fleeing Thailand in fear of a crackdown by the military junta about two weeks ago.

“We found that a lot of SIM cards had been sold or given away without identifying the subscribers,” Sinarith said.

“Of course, we do recognise their [mobile operators'] generosity, but they have to make sure that those given a SIM card have been properly identified, otherwise this will make trouble in society, because they can use the [unidentified] SIM to make explosive devices,” he said.

Government officials held a meeting with the telcos yesterday at National Police headquarters in Phnom Penh. Sinarith said the mobile operators were given two weeks to attain proper documentation from the SIM card recipients or take action to terminate the new subscriber accounts.

“We ordered them [mobile operators] to send an SMS notification, voice message or use whatever means necessary to contact those people who were given the SIMs [and] demand that they provide documents proving their identity,” the deputy police commissioner said.

Smart CEO Thomas Hundt yesterday denied any wrongdoing. He said that his company’s identification processes remained stringent and that every person had his or her ID card photographed before receiving a SIM card.

“As a general practice and also in this case, Smart is very strict, and for this reason [SIM cards] are only being handed out with an ID card,” he said.

Cellcard, however, admitted that in a rush to help returning migrants, some people were signed up to the mobile provider without presenting proper identification.

“There may have been instances where due to the demand for Cellcard sims full id was not provided,” Cellcard CEO Ian Watson, said via text message yesterday.

“[I]n these exceptional cases we [will] retrospectively get ID. We have spoken to all of all our sale team to ensure full adherence to the ID requirements.”

He added that this was not common practice for the firm.

Of the three mobile operators, Vietnamese-owned firm Metphone handed out the most SIM cards at 12,000. Cellcard gave out about 7,000 and Smart about 2,000, according to Sinarith.

Metfone could not be reached for comment.

MOST VIEWED

  • US think tank warns of China's 'ulterior motives'

    A US think tank on Tuesday warned that spreading Chinese investment in the Indo-Pacific follows a pattern of leveraging geopolitical influence at the expense of the nations receiving investment, including Cambodia. The report looks at a sample of 15 Chinese port development projects, noting that the

  • Defence Ministry denies weapons in smuggling case came from Cambodia

    After a Thai national was arrested last week for allegedly smuggling guns from Cambodia to Thailand, Cambodia's Defence Ministry has claimed the weapons seized during the arrest are not used in Cambodia, despite the fact that both types of rifle seized are commonly found in

  • More than three tonnes of ivory reportedly bound for Cambodia seized in Mozambique

    A total of 3.5 tonnes of ivory reportedly bound for Cambodia was seized by authorities in Mozambique late last week, according to the NGO Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES). CITES' information was based on a report from the

  • Shipwreck found off coast of Koh Kong

    Royal Cambodian Navy researchers are working to identify a decades-old shipwreck found earlier this month off the coast of Koh Kong province. Divers found the 70-metre-long wreck on April 4 about a mile from Koh Chhlam island, according to Navy officials. Deputy Navy Commander Tea Sokha,