Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Termination of Airbus lease obtained without approval

Termination of Airbus lease obtained without approval

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
SriLankan Airlines initiated re-fleeting project during the 2010-2015 Rajapaksa administration. Photo supplied

Termination of Airbus lease obtained without approval

A simmering controversy over massive kickbacks received by former CEO of SriLankan Airlines Kapila Chandrasena and his wife Priyanka Niyomali Wijenayaka to influence the acquisition of 10 airbuses and leasing of four other aircraft and the subsequent termination of the leasing agreements for three aircraft, A 350-900, has taken a new turn with a revelation that the then Public Enterprise Minister Kabir Hashim informed the Cabinet that the national carrier on October 4, 2016, had finalised three early termination agreements without the approval of the line ministry (Public Enterprise Development), the Cabinet and the Attorney General.

Chandrasena and his wife are in remand pending investigations. They are to be produced before the Fort Magistrate’s court again on February 19.

Sources said that the national carrier had sought Cabinet approval on October 28, 2016, to terminate leasing agreements, more than three weeks after finalising them.

The total amount of compensation paid to AerCap leasing Company was not known yet though SriLankan referred to $98 million as the payment in case certain conditions were met by the airline, but the paper presented by the airline placed the amount at $154 million, sources said.

The national carrier initiated re-fleeting project during the 2010-2015 Rajapaksa administration and the termination of leasing contracts on three aircraft was effected during the Sirisena-Wickremesinghe administration.

Although Public Enterprise Development Minister Hashim, on President Maithripala Sirisena’s advice, on Feb 02, 2017, briefed the Cabinet on the termination of aircraft leasing agreements, the government refrained from initiating an inquiry.

United National Party member Mujibur Rahman recently called for the setting up of a Presidential Commission of Inquiry to probe the Sri Lankan re-fleeting plan.

SriLankan negotiated with AerCap though original agreements had been reached with International Lease Finance Corporation (ILFC). Neither the line ministry nor the Cabinet was not informed why SriLankan had negotiated with AerCap in the absence of any provision to do so in terms of the original agreements with the ILFC.

All papers related to the termination of leasing agreements hadn’t been submitted to Cabinet Committee on Economic Management and the Cabinet.

According a memorandum dated February 8, 2017 submitted to the Cabinet, in response to President Sirisena’s directive, the Ministry of Finance on October 26, 2016, outlined the process followed by the national carrier in termination of the lease agreements.

However, the line ministry hadn’t been involved in the decision making process, sources said, adding that SriLankan was on record as having informed the Cabinet that it gone ahead with the termination as the Ministry of Finance raised no objections.

SriLankan also claimed that the prime minister had also approved the process, according to the Cabinet paper dated February 2, 2020.

The line ministry received a copy of the termination agreement late January 2017, three months after the signing of it.

AerCap forfeited $7.5 million paid as a security deposit. Inquiries revealed that the aircraft lease termination had been carried out under controversial circumstances with the line ministry informing the Cabinet that commercial agreements entered into by the national carrier didn’t require approval the Attorney General’s approval.

THE ISLAND (SRI LANKA)/ASIA NEWS NETWORK

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants