Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Tickets now allow more days of access to Angkor

Tickets now allow more days of access to Angkor

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A total of 400,889 people bought tickets to Angkor Archaeological Park last year, down 81.82 per cent from 2019. Hong Menea

Tickets now allow more days of access to Angkor

Angkor Enterprise has extended the period of validity for entry tickets to Angkor Archaeological Park in a move to revive tourism to the sprawling temple complex, it said in a March 10 press release.

One-day, three-day and five-day entrance tickets will give international tourists access to the complex in Siem Reap province for two days, five days and 10 days, respectively, said Angkor Enterprise, the state-run institution that manages tickets sales for international visitors to the mainstay of the Kingdom’s key tourism industry.

Moreover, the periods of use for one-month, three-month and six-month passes will be doubled, it added.

“The policy has been put into practice to facilitate and promote tourism services and to ensure that Angkor’s archaeological sites and the Kingdom overall retain their allure for tourists even amid the Covid-19 pandemic,” Angkor Enterprise said.

The offer will be available until December 31, it added.

According to the Angkor Enterprise website, the prices of one-day, three-day and seven-day tickets currently stand at $37, $62 and $72.

Its data show that 4,194 people bought tickets to the park in the first two months of this year, cratering 98.77 per cent year-on-year.

Cambodia Association of Travel Agents (CATA) president Chhay Sivlin noted that due to the current tourist-visa restrictions, the new move would only be attractive to foreigners that live in the country.

She noted that the number of foreigners living in Cambodia is relatively small, with many tightening their budgets and travel expenses during the pandemic.

“I hope that this policy will be able to attract more tourists after the situation of Covid-19 infections has improved,” Sivlin said.

Last year, a total of 400,889 people bought tickets to the park, taking an 81.82 per cent nosedive from 2019, netting Angkor Enterprise $18,654,828 in sales, plunging 81.17 per cent from 2019, its statistics show.

While official Ministry of Tourism statistics have yet to be published, minister Thong Khon estimates that Cambodia welcomed just 1.31 million international visitors last year, or down almost 80 per cent compared to the 6,610,592 who travelled to the Kingdom in 2019.

MOST VIEWED

  • Municipal hall releases map detailing colour coded Covid risks by commune

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng released an official map detailing the red, yellow and dark yellow zones within the city under the new lockdown orders for Phnom Penh announced on April 26. The designation of red, dark yellow and yellow corresponds to areas with high,

  • Inter-provincial travel ban lifted; Phnom Penh and Takmao not exempted

    The government on April 25 decided to lift the inter-provincial travel ban and the closure of tourist attractions across the country, effectively immediately. The travel ban and closures of all resorts were imposed on April 6 and 17 respectively in a bid to curb the spread of Covid-19,

  • Phnom Penh unveils rules for post-lockdown transition

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration issued a set of detailed guidelines for the seven days to May 12 after the capital emerges from lockdown at the onset of May 6. In the 14-page document signed by municipal governor Khuong Sreng released on the evening of May 5, the

  • Phnom Penh, Takmao lockdown extended for another week

    The government late on April 26 announced an extension of lockdown in Phnom Penh and adjacent Takmao town in Kandal province for another seven days – or longer if residents do not comply with Covid-19 preventive measures and the community outbreak does not subside – until May 5. According

  • Gov't mulls extension of Phnom Penh, Takmao lockdown

    The Inter-ministerial National Commission for the Control and Enforcement of Lockdown held a video conference meeting on April 25 to review a draft document on the extension of lockdown in Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal province’s Takmao town. The meeting was chaired by Minister of

  • Gov’t issues guidelines as lockdown nears end

    The government has issued a five-page set of instructions to be enforced when the three-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Takmao town in Kandal province ends on May 6. According to an announcement signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen on May 4, the instructions cover a