Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Trade show suffers post-tragedy

Trade show suffers post-tragedy

Trade show suffers post-tragedy

Vendors at a four-day trade fair on Diamond Island yesterday said there had been a decline in buyers to the exhibition due to the notoriety of November’s bridge disaster.

While there were some 326 stalls occupied by vendors at the Ministry of Commerce-backed annual Import-Export and One Province One Product exhibition – an increase on last year’s 200 booths – the number of visitors were on the downswing, according to many.

Phun Saly, deputy head of a palm sugar processing enterprise in the San Tuk district of Kampong Thom said many had brought items such as food, bedding, and souvenirs to sell, but there were few who came to buy.

“Not many people have come, because the accident seems fresh,” she said yesterday on the first day of the exhibition, which is slated to wrap up on December 18.

Sroin Kimsroy, a vendor of local foods from Banteay Meanchey province, said he had initially thought to stay away from the event because some people had still not recovered from the shock of the catastrophe.

“I was worried. I thought I would not be able to take part, but later I realised the organisers were being very careful,” he said.

Acting Minister of Commerce Kem Sithan said the exhibition consisted of 244 companies, and was anticipated to attract between 60,000 and 100,000 visitors, but did not directly discuss whether people were staying away from the exhibition due to last month’s tragedy.

“I think we have prepared smoothly,” he said at yesterday’s fair.

Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Economy and Finance Keat Chhon said he had observed increased progress with the event from year to year after touring the stalls yesterday.

“From day to day, [the number of] Cambodian products have increased,” he said.

He added the exhibition served as a platform for businessmen to meet each other.

Last month more than 100 vendors at the Diamond Island night market requested the landlord to suspend rent for the next three months. Some cited up to a 90 percent drop in customers since the bridge stampede on November 22 which killed over 350 people.

MOST VIEWED

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Long way to go before Cambodia gets a ‘smart city’

    Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang will struggle to attain smart city status without adopting far reaching master plans, according to officials tasked with implementing the program. The brainchild of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean), the smart city program seeks to link up

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman

  • China-Cambodia tourism forum held

    The Cambodian tourism sector must be prepared to welcome a growing number of Chinese tourists, as they lead the globe in the number of outbound travellers and were responsible for the most visitors to the Kingdom last year, the country’s tourism minister said on