Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - US approves merger of wireless operators T-Mobile and Sprint

US approves merger of wireless operators T-Mobile and Sprint

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
T-Mobile and Sprint receive clearance from US antitrust officials for their $26 billion merger that creates a strong number three player in the wireless sector. JUSTIN SULLIVAN/GETTY IMAGES/AFP

US approves merger of wireless operators T-Mobile and Sprint

US antitrust authorities on Friday approved the $26 billion merger of T-Mobile and Sprint in a deal that brings together the third- and fourth-largest wireless operators as the industry moves toward deployment of superfast fifth-generation (5G) networks.

The tie-up aims to create a strong number three US operator to compete against sector leaders Verizon and AT&T and expedite 5G deployment, but consumer groups have complained it would mean reduced competition and higher prices.

The deal calls for Sprint to sell some of its prepaid wireless operations to satellite TV operator Dish Network, which would create its own telecom service.

“With this merger and accompanying divestiture, we are expanding output significantly by ensuring that large amounts of currently unused or underused spectrum are made available to American consumers in the form of high quality 5G networks,” said Makan Delrahim, head of the Department of Justice’s (DoJ’s) antitrust division.

Delrahim added that the agreement would provide Dish with the resources needed to “provide a full range of mobile wireless services nationwide”.

T-Mobile, whose parent is German-based Deutsche Telekom, and Sprint, controlled by Japan’s SoftBank, say the merger will be good for consumers.

It will create a “bigger and bolder competitor than ever before – one that will deliver the most transformative 5G network in the country, lower prices, better quality, unmatched value and thousands of jobs”, said T-Mobile CEO John Legere, who will retain his position upon completion of the merger.

“Today’s results are a win-win for everyone involved. We cannot wait to get to work bringing this pro-consumer, pro-competition New T-Mobile 5G network to US customers from coast to coast.”

Sprint executive chairman Marcelo Claure said the tie-up “will allow the US to fiercely compete for 5G leadership” and that the combined firm would build “one of the world’s most advanced 5G networks, which will massively revolutionise the way consumers and businesses use their connected devices to enhance their daily lives”.

Legere told analysts on a conference call he expected regulatory approval to be completed soon, with the merger completed by the end of the year.

Higher prices?

Earlier this year, 14 states sued to block the deal. DoJ said five agreed to the settlement, which still requires approval in court.

New York state attorney general Letitia James said a group of state regulators would maintain their effort to block the merger.

“The coalition today reaffirmed its commitment to opposing this merger, which would reduce competition and increase prices for consumers,” James said in a statement.

Legere said the companies were “willing to engage” with opponents and that “our intention is not to close while the litigation is ongoing”.

Joshua Stager, of the New America Foundation’s Open Technology Institute, said the deal fell short of retaining four “viable competitors” for the sector, adding that the effort to sell assets to Dish was “needlessly convoluted”.

“DoJ does not need to bend over backwards to fix a bad merger. It can simply block the deal,” he said.

Avery Gardiner, an antitrust fellow at the Center for Democracy & Technology, said the decision to approve the deal “goes against decades of settled principles” of competition.

“The wireless industry is already highly concentrated, and this deal is likely to result in higher prices, calcified cell service plans, and lower quality all around,” she said.

Chris Shelton, president of the Communications Workers of America union, said the tie-up would kill 30,000 jobs and would make Dish a reseller of services over the T-Mobile network rather than a genuine rival.

But Jessica Melugin of the Competitive Enterprise Institute said the deal would be positive for consumers by allowing for three strong 5G operators.

She added that, with the government out of the way, consumers would get the wireless innovations they deserve in an unfettered marketplace.

Dish Network, which operates satellite and other pay TV systems, said it would deploy a 5G broadband network capable of serving 70 per cent of the US population by June 2023.

Dish will get wireless spectrum to be divested in the deal as well as the prepaid Sprint operations Boost Mobile, Virgin Mobile and Sprint Prepaid.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry issues warning over coronavirus outbreak

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday asked the public to be on “high alert” as a new virus wreaks havoc across Asia. However, no cases have been reported in the Kingdom thus far. The 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) has raised the alarm for its similarity to

  • Call for boycott of Angkor unacceptable

    Dear Editor, I wish to express my strong disagreement on the article published by Traveller for their website with the title Best places to go in 2020: 12 destinations you should avoid. Below is my opinion of the article. It is obviously free for the Traveller to

  • Probe underway after wreckage of drone with Chinese characters found

    Air Force Command spokesman Prak Sokha said on Sunday that investigations are underway regarding the wreckage of a drone that was recovered in Koh Kong province’s Koh Sdech commune in Kiri Sakor district. The wreckage has been taken to the capital for further examination,

  • Gov’t slams UN rapporteurs over Sokha trial statement

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation and the Permanent Mission of the Kingdom of Cambodia to the UN Office in Geneva deplored the statement of three UN special rapporteurs who claimed that Kem Sokha’s trial was “tainted” due to irregularities. The reaction

  • No power shortages next dry season, says energy minister

    Minister of Mines and Energy Suy Sem has assured the public that Cambodia will not suffer power shortages during the next dry season. Speaking on local TV on Tuesday, Sem projected a rise in power demand during 2020’s dry season – which starts in November and

  • Gov’t takes steps to lower logistics, transport costs

    With the threat of losing trade privileges in the EU drawing closer, the government is taking measures to reduce logistics and transportation costs to safeguard the Kingdom’s competitiveness. The EU is due to decide whether or not to withdraw the Kingdom’s trade privileges