Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Vietnam trade fair to boost two economies

Vietnam trade fair to boost two economies

Vietnam trade fair to boost two economies

In an effort to stimulate US$5 billion in trade between Cambodia and Vietnam by 2015, the Vietnamese Trade Fair will be held at the Diamond Island Convention and Exhibition Centre from September 21 to 25.

Cambodia’s Prime Minister Hun Sen and Vietnam’s Prime Minister Nguyen Tan Dung made the pledge during the third conference on Cambodia-Vietnam Investment and Trade in Kien Giang Province, Vietnam, in late June, in an effort to raise bilateral trade to $5 billion by 2015.

Tran Tu, trade attaché from the Vietnam Trade Office in Cambodia, said the trade fair will be organised by the Center of Exhibition and Trade Promotion of Army (CETPA), Ministry of Defence of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam.

The annual event is part of the framework of Vietnam’s national foreign trade promotion.

Tran Tu said there will be about 150 companies taking part in the event with the total number of standard booths at 250.

“Despite recent economic difficulties in Vietnam and Cambodia, the trade fair’s size is similar to last year’s because Vietnamese enterprises hope to sell more products, goods and services to the neighbouring market of Cambodia,” he said.

Cambodia’s total exports to Vietnam rose by 10.6 per cent to $329,596,129 in the first seven months of the year, compared to $283,649,387 for the same period in 2011.

The total imports from Vietnam went up by 23.67 per cent, totaling $1,631,606,330.

To contact the reporter on this story: May Kunmakara at [email protected]

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said

  • Some jobs off limits to foreigners from August

    Beginning from the second week of August, foreigners will be banned from driving taxis and tuk-tuks, as well as being motorcycle delivery drivers, street food vendors, hairdressers and product distributors among other lower-income jobs. Some white-collar jobs such as the head of human resources will