Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Vietnamese funding curbs will not delay hospital development

Vietnamese funding curbs will not delay hospital development

Vietnamese funding curbs will not delay hospital development

Despite Vietnamese state-owned companies withdrawing funding from projects outside of their core business, the $20 million expansion of the Vietnamese-backed Cho Ray Phnom Penh Hospital remains on track, the hospital’s head said yesterday.

In July 2012 the Vietnamese government requested that state-owned enterprises withdraw investment in non-core business fields prior to 2015. Reports from Vietnamese media last week cited Cho Ray Phnom Penh Hospital as a project to be affected by the funding curbs.

The hospital’s key investor, Ho Chi Minh City Medical Investment Joint Stock Company (MECO), is under funding pressure from its shareholder companies whose main business interests lay outside of health investment, according to an April 28 report from the Saigon Times.

Nguyen Hoang Nam, general director of Cho Ray Phnom Penh told the Post yesterday that he met with both MECO and local investor Sokimex last week and was advised that the second phase of development, which will see the hospital grow by an additional 300 beds, would be fully funded.

“The plan is still the same, nothing has changed,” Hoang Nam said.

“Both partners have agreed that we will start the second phase.”

Tran Manh Tiep, Second Secretary at the Vietnamese Embassy confirmed his governments investment directive on Monday, but declined to comment on the extent to which the order would impact Cambodian projects.

“Here is the problem to be solved,” he said in an email.

With an initial investment of $42 million, construction of Cho Ray Hospital commenced in 2010 and began operating in January this year with 200 beds.

Commencement of the second phase of the project to expand to 500 beds is expected to be announced shortly, the hospital’s general director said yesterday.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh authorities ban march for Human Rights Day

    Phnom Penh authorities have banned a planned march as local NGOs and workers’ unions gear up to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the signing of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights on Monday, with a youth group leader saying they would march nonetheless. The UN

  • Government deports 235 Chinese scammers

    THE Immigration Department of the Ministry of Interior on Thursday deported 235 Chinese nationals, 35 of whom were female, via the Phnom Penh International Airport for their part in a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) online money extortion scam. The deportees were arrested on November 26 over the

  • Phnom Penh’s Jet’s Container Night Market shuts down

    The famous Jet’s Container Night Market in central Phnom Penh has shut down due to the high cost of the land rental, company representatives claim. Jet’s Container Night Market is the largest such market in Phnom Penh. It operated for just over two

  • Hun Sen rejects ‘rift’ rumours spread by ‘stupid gangsters’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday denied a “rift” among top leaders of the Cambodian People’s Party (CPP), and rejected claims that Senate president Say Chhum and Interior Minister Sar Kheng were set to be removed from their positions as rumours spread by “gangsters”.