Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Vivo pulls back curtain on new 5G handset

Vivo pulls back curtain on new 5G handset

Content image - Phnom Penh Post

Vivo pulls back curtain on new 5G handset

Chinese smartphone vendor Vivo unveiled its premium 5G smartphone NEX 3 5G on Monday night.

The move came less than one month after Vivo’s first 5G handset iQOO Pro was unveiled, making it one of the most aggressive players in establishing a beachhead for commercialising the superfast technology.

Vivo said it took two years for the company to design and make the 5G smartphone. NEX 3 5G is built for 5G and is the result of years of research and development, the company added. Vivo has applied for more than 2,000 5G patents so far.

Hong Yi, product manager of NEX at Vivo, said the company has adopted cutting-edge solutions to solve problems blocking the popularity of 5G smartphones, including the difficulty of obtaining strong 5G signals, overheating and short battery life.

According to Hong, the company has invested 200 million yuan ($28.3 million) in developing the model.

Priced from 5,698 yuan, NEX 3 5G features a 6.89-inch display offering a screen resolution of 2256 x 1080 pixels and offers 99.6 per cent screen-to-body ratio, better than its rival products.

The company has already started research into 6G by cooperating with premier universities in China.

On the backside, NEX 3 5G features a triple-camera setup which includes a 64-megapixel primary sensor coupled with two other camera sensors, both having 13-megapixel resolution. On the front side, it comes with a 16-megapixel snapper for taking selfies and shooting videos.

It also comes with a Vivo Computation Acceleration Platform, which can function as an AI-enabled telephone assistant to help users answer calls from strangers.

CHINA DAILY

MOST VIEWED

  • US imposes sanctions on Oknha Pheap and Kun Kim

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation expressed strong dismay on Monday over the designation of Cambodian tycoon Oknha Try Pheap and General Kun Kim under the US’ Global Magnitsky Act. “It is very disturbing when the public figures of a country become the

  • Mother, daughter killed in hotel fire

    The bodies of a mother and daughter were found locked in an embrace after they were killed in a hotel fire in Phnom Penh at around 3:30am on Wednesday at the Phkar Chhouk Tep 2 Hotel and Restaurant in Phsar Doeum Kor commune, in the capital’

  • EBA withdrawal a destruction of EU achievements, PM says

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said the EU’s possible suspension of its Everything But Arms (EBA) agreement amounted to a destruction of its achievements in the Kingdom and the demise of the opposition group. Hun Sen made the remarks while addressing more than 6,700 students during

  • Rights Day forum denied in Sihanoukville

    The Preah Sihanouk provincial administration last Saturday denied the request of land communities for a public location in the province to celebrate International Human Rights Day 2019 as the administration had already held forums to discuss land issues. However, the land community representatives said they would

  • US told to refrain from interfering in Sokha case

    Senior Cambodian officials said on Thursday that the US can monitor Kem Sokha’s trial as it wishes but would not be allowed to interfere in court procedures. The point was made in response to US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo’s comments on Wednesday

  • Sri Lanka’s LOLC Holdings plans to sell Cambodian unit

    LOLC Holdings Plc, Sri Lanka’s second-largest publicly traded company by revenue, plans to sell its 70 per cent stake in Prasac Microfinance Institution Ltd, which also counts Hong Kong’s Bank of East Asia Ltd. as a shareholder, LOLC deputy chairman Ishara Nanayakkara said. Nanayakkara