Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - VN seeks $40M for expressway site clearance

VN seeks $40M for expressway site clearance

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Construction of the Trung Luong-My Thuan Expressway is underway. TTXVN

VN seeks $40M for expressway site clearance

Vietnam’s Ministry of Transport has proposed the government allocate 932 billion dong ($40 million) from contingency reserves for the My Thuan-Can Tho expressway project to entice businesses to invest in the project.

The sum is part of the total investment for project of 5.4 trillion dong, but the ministry has proposed disbursing it now to complete land clearance work to find an investor for the project.

Potential investors have been reluctant to get involved, largely due to the Law on Management and Use of Public Assets which took effect in January this year, which dictated that they must win a tender to collect toll fees on the Ho Chi Minh City-Trung Luong Expressway to fund the My Thuan-Can Tho expressway project.

Previously, FDI firm Thang Long Management Board under the Ministry of Transport submitted a shortlist of investors to the ministry.

However, with the change in legal documents, the selection process for project’s investors must be conducted again.

Eleven investors, including those from the Republic of Korea and China, have expressed interest.

Earlier in 2016, then Prime Minister Nguyen Tan Dung approved the My Thuan-Can Tho Highway project in the Mekong Delta being conducted under the build-operate-transfer mode.

Accordingly, toll booths would be built on the Ho Chi Minh City-Trung Luong Expressway (from the city to Tien Giang province) to fund the project, and also on the new highway once completed.

The ministry said the My Thuan-Can Tho Expressway, part of the Ho Chi Minh City-Can Tho Expressway, is an important route in the north-south expressway system, facilitating transport between Ho Chi Minh City and the Mekong Delta.

The volume of vehicles on this route will increase rapidly in the coming time, especially after the construction of My Thuan 2 Bridge, it said.

The 23.6km My Thuan-Can Tho Expressway will start at the intersection of National Highway 80, and will end at the Cha Va Intersection of National Highway 1A, both in the Mekong Delta province of Vinh Long. Viet nam news

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh unveils rules for post-lockdown transition

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration issued a set of detailed guidelines for the seven days to May 12 after the capital emerges from lockdown at the onset of May 6. In the 14-page document signed by municipal governor Khuong Sreng released on the evening of May 5, the

  • SBI LY HOUR Bank Launches Cross Border Money Transfer Service between Cambodia and Vietnam on RippleNet, utilizing DLT

    SBI LY HOUR Bank Plc and Hanoi-based Tien Phong Commercial Joint Stock Bank (TPBank) on Friday launched the first Cambodia-Vietnam money transfer service in real currency via RippleNet, provided by SBI Ripple Asia Co Ltd to provide safe, fast and convenient services. SBI LY HOUR

  • Cambodia ready to exit LDC status

    Cambodia is well-prepared to minimise economic risks when it graduates from its Least Developed Countries status, according to a senior official at the Ministry of Commerce on May 7. Four LDCs – Cambodia, Laos, Bangladesh and Nepal – met at a virtual workshop last week to explore potential

  • Nine US franchises eye Cambodia debut

    Nine famous US franchising companies are looking for business opportunities and expansion into Cambodia to build a footstep for a strong foundation in Southeast Asia. The US embassy in Phnom Penh, in partnership with the US Foreign Commercial Service and with support from the American

  • Nearly 2,000 detained for Phnom Penh curfew breach

    Nearly 2,000 people were detained in the capital for violating the curfew imposed by the government and Phnom Penh Municipal Administration. Municipal police spokesman San Sokseyha told The Post on May 16 that people were detained in two phases. In phase one, the government locked down Phnom

  • Jab drive announced for two more Phnom Penh districts

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration on May 15 announced a first-dose novel-coronavirus vaccination campaign for Boeung Keng Kang and Sen Sok districts from May 18-31, and a follow-up second-shot drive from June 1-15. Twenty vaccination sites have been set up in a combined 13 communes across both