Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - WSJ: Huawei planning major job cuts in the US

WSJ: Huawei planning major job cuts in the US

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Chinese telecoms firm Huawei has been a sticking point in trade talks between China and the US. WANG ZHAO/AFP

WSJ: Huawei planning major job cuts in the US

Chinese telecoms giant Huawei, which is subject to US sanctions over concerns about its ties to the government in Beijing, is planning to make major job cuts at its US operations, the Wall Street Journal reported on Sunday.

The layoffs are expected at Huawei’s US-based research and development arm, Futurewei Technologies, the paper reported, citing unnamed people familiar with the situation.

The unit currently employs 850 people at several labs in the US, but hundreds of them could be laid off, the report said.

Some of the company’s Chinese employees were given the option of keeping their jobs and returning home to work.

The administration of US President Donald Trump has put Huawei on its so-called entity list, which meant US companies needed a licence to supply US technology to the Chinese firm.

Huawei – a leader in fifth-generation (5G) wireless technology – remained barred from developing 5G networks in the US, and the Trump administration is trying to convince its allies to do the same.

Last week, Monaco became the first European country to roll out a 5G network based on Huawei technology.

Washington accuses Huawei of working directly with the Chinese government, a claim the company denies.

After Trump met with Chinese President Xi Jinping on the sidelines of the Group of 20 summit in Osaka, Japan, last month, Huawei won a bit of a reprieve when Trump said he would ease the punitive measures so long as the equipment sold to the Chinese company did not pose any risk to national security.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Pesticide-laden cucumbers’ kill two, poison 150 in Banteay Meanchey

    At least two youths have died and 243 others are being treated for vomiting, diarrhoea, breathing difficulties, dizziness and muscle weakness after they ate cucumbers suspected to consist of pesticides. The incident happened on Saturday, said Banteay Meanchey provincial police chief Ath Khem. He told The

  • Three dead, 13 injured in collapse at Siem Reap pagoda

    At least three people were killed and more than 10 others injured on Monday after a dining hall under construction collapsed at Prasat Kokchak pagoda in Kokchak commune, Siem Reap province. Provincial police chief Tith Narong said Military Police, soldiers and local volunteers had successfully recovered 16

  • China Unicom enters Cambodia

    China Unicom, the country’s largest telecoms operator, has expanded into Cambodia to build optical telecommunication pathways in the Kingdom as part of the Belt and Road Initiative (BRI). The Hong Kong-listed company officially opened its China Unicom (Cambodia) subsidiary on Monday to become the

  • PP-SHV Expressway on track for completion in early 2023

    The construction of the $1.9 billion Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway, which broke ground at the end of March, is on track to be completed by early 2023, Ministry of Public Works and Transport spokesman Vasim Sorya said on Monday. The 190km high-speed highway linking the capital to the

  • Kingdom’s domestic milk still cannot compete with imports

    Price competition and a lack of confidence by consumers are the main reasons the dairy market cannot compete with imports, said domestic milk producers. The large displays of imported fresh milk at the Kingdom’s supermarkets present a cumbersome obstacle for local producers, they said.

  • Forest Harmony’s $18M luxury villas break ground in Kampot

    Local and French joint-venture Forest Harmony has broken ground on its $18 million “second-home” Luxury Holiday Villas project in Kampot province. Century 21 Mekong CEO and local shareholder of the project Chrek Soknim told The Post that the project will comprise 90 villa units covering 18ha on a 97