Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Charges for alleged child rapist

Charges for alleged child rapist

Charges for alleged child rapist

Police in Banteay Meanchey sent to court a man who allegedly raped an 8-year-old girl earlier this month and attempted to sexually assault a 12-year-old girl on Monday.

Moeun Seth, 21, was charged at the Banteay Meanchey Provincial Court yesterday, a day after police say he confessed to raping a child on January 6, and attempting a similar crime on Monday, according to Bun Set, Banteay Meanchey’s deputy bureau chief of serious crimes.

Seth said yesterday that the man had been charged “with rape of underage children and kidnapping”.

“The court decided to detain him in prison for further investigation,” he added.

On January 6, Seth allegedly told a group of 7- and 8-year-olds walking home from school that a thief was up the road, and told them to follow him into the woods to avoid danger. He then allegedly ordered them to remove their clothes and raped an 8-year-old girl.

After attempting a similar ploy on Monday, police tracked down and arrested Seth. During an interrogation, police said, Seth admitted to the crimes, saying that he was drunk, addicted to drugs and that his wife is pregnant.

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • Shanxi wins bid to build sections of new Siem Reap airport

    Shanxi Mechanization Construction Group recently won the bid to build two sections of the new Siem Reap Angkor International Airport project in Cambodia for 290 million yuan ($42.16 million). The existing Angkor International Airport in Siem Reap, 5km from the famous ancient temple complex and world tourism

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said