Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Chhouk Bandith still at large three years on



Chhouk Bandith still at large three years on

Chhouk Bandith still at large three years on

Three female garment workers who were shot by former Bavet town governor Chhouk Bandith during a February 2012 factory demonstration called on the government yesterday to imprison the former politician, who has been on the run for three years as of today.

In June 2013, Bandith was sentenced by the Svay Rieng Provincial Court to 18 months imprisonment for firing his gun into a crowd of 6,000 workers protesting at the Kaoway Sports Factory in Bavet town’s Manhattan Special Economic Zone and subsequently injuring the three women.

He was also ordered to pay $9,500 in total compensation to the victims, but like the accused himself, the money is nowhere to be found, victims say.

“The three of us have been living for three years with injustice, so we would like to appeal to the government to seek to apprehend and jail Bandith to offer justice to us,” said Keo Near, who said she still suffers from the wounds she sustained from the shooting.

The victims believe that Bandith would already be in police custody had he shot high-ranking individuals.

“If we had power like oknhas, Chhouk Bandith might have been apprehended, but because we are factory workers, we have no power to make the government pay attention and pursue legal action,” said Near, who added that rumours abound that Bandith is living in Vietnam.

Ministry of Justice spokesman Chhin Malin, however, said that the ministry is working alongside police and Interpol to track down Bandith.

“It seems quiet, but the authorities are still continuing work to arrest the offender,” Malin said. “The job is so serious, so we cannot tell the public about the clues, because they could benefit the perpetrator, as he remains in hiding.”

The authorities’ inability to apprehend Bandith, according to Am Sam Ath, senior investigator at rights group Licadho, is a testimony to the “serious impunity in the Kingdom”.

“The authorities were not willing to seek justice for the victims, even though the court issued the arrest warrant so the perpetrator could live with freedom,” Sam Ath said. “They follow the judicial procedures to avoid public criticism, but they do not have any willingness to find justice.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Two luxury hotels latest quarantine options for inbound travellers

    The Inter-Ministerial Committee to Combat Covid-19 has designated two luxury hotels as alternative quarantine options for travellers who wish to enter Cambodia through Phnom Penh International Airport – Sokha Phnom Penh Hotel & Residence and the Courtyard by Marriott Phnom Penh. In a notice detailing guidelines issued

  • PM imposes nationwide Covid restrictions, curfew over Delta scare

    Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28 instructed the municipal and provincial authorities nationwide to strictly enforce Covid-19 measures including curfew for two weeks from July 29 midnight through August 12 to stem the new coronavirus Delta variant. The instruction came shortly after he issued a directive

  • Visa A holders get to quarantine at Himawari Hotel

    The Ministry of Health has permitted foreign diplomats, UN and International NGO officials to undergo quarantine at Himawari Hotel in the capital in case they do not have a separate place suitable for this purpose, but the government would not be responsible for the expenses.

  • Jabs for kids bring hope for school reopenings

    Cambodia is tentatively planning to reopen schools – at least at the secondary level – when the vaccination of children aged 12-17 is completed, even though daily transmissions and deaths in other age groups remain high. Schools across the country have been suspended since March 20, one month

  • China denies Mekong hacking

    As the US and its allies joined hands last week to expose what they allege to be China’s Ministry of State Security’s malicious cyber activities around the world, the attention also turned to Cambodia with the US Department of Justice claiming that four

  • 8 provinces on Thai borders put in lockdown amid Delta fears

    The government has decided to place several border provinces in lockdown for two weeks in a bid to prevent the new coronavirus Delta variant spreading further into community. According a directive signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28, the provinces include Koh Kong,