Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Civil party grilled by defence teams

Civil party grilled by defence teams

Civil party grilled by defence teams

Defence teams at the Khmer Rouge tribunal yesterday sought to tease out seeming inconsistencies in the testimony of civil party Chou Koemlan.

In her previous testimony, Koemlan had recounted the arrest and alleged murder of her husband, as well as the time she saw defendants Khieu Samphan and Nuon Chea visiting her canal-digging worksite in Takeo province’s Tram Kok district, a key location in the current Case 002/02.

Chea defender Victor Koppe pressed Koemlan on whether she had directly witnessed her husband’s death, which she conceded she had only learned of secondhand.

“People knew what happened, and they told me my husband had been killed. His hands were tied behind his back,” she said. “There were people walking with guns, and he was killed. I was told that.”

When pressed on when she learned of his death, Koemlan again faltered, first saying she had learned in 1979, then saying it could have been in the 1980s or ’90s.

Samphan defender Anta Guisse, meanwhile, challenged the witness on her memory of the visit paid by her client and Chea to the site where Koemlan worked.

However, Koemlan’s testimony ended with her own questions, as she made a statement addressed to the defendants.

“How could they carry out such a revolution? They liberated the country,” she said. “Why did they commit killings?”

Before Koemlan’s testimony ended yesterday, trial chamber president Nil Nonn announced that the court had determined both Samphan and Chea fit to stand trial following an assessment by medical experts.

Court spokesman Neth Pheaktra said yesterday that despite instituting a longer midday break – a concession to Samphan, who has retired early from recent proceedings citing fatigue and dizziness – the court hoped to resume its typical four-day-per-week hearing schedule as of February 2.

Pheaktra also said that the Cambodian government’s contribution to the court’s national side budget for 2015 would rise slightly from the previous year to a total of $4.1 million, a figure that would cover general operating costs as well as national salaries for the first half of the year.

MOST VIEWED

  • Research key to Kanitha’s rep for expertise

    Sok Kanitha is used to weighing in on controversial issues using a confident approach that signals expertise and authority, and a recent video she made was no exception. Her “Episode 342: The History of NATO” video went live on January 16, 2023 and immediately shot to 30,000 likes and 3,500

  • Cambodia maintains 'Kun Khmer' stance despite Thailand’s boycott threat

    Cambodia has taken the position that it will use the term "Kun Khmer" to refer to the sport of kickboxing at the upcoming Southeast Asian (SEA) Games, and has removed the term Muay from all references to the sport. Despite strong reactions from the Thai

  • Knockout! Kun Khmer replaces ‘Muay’ for Phnom Penh Games

    Cambodia has decided to officially remove the word Muay from the programme of the 32nd Southeast Asian (SEA) Games 2023 in May. “Kun Khmer” will instead be used to represent the Southeast Asian sport of kickboxing, in accordance with the wishes of the Cambodian people. Vath

  • Artificial insemination takes herd from 7 to 700

    Some farms breed local cows or even import bulls from a broad for the purpose of breeding heavier livestock for meat production. One Tbong Khnum farmer has found a more efficient way. Hout Leang employs artificial insemination to fertilise local cows. Thanks to imported “straws”

  • New int’l airport nearly half complete as travel industry returns to life

    Construction of a new airport that is slated to serve the capital has passed the 43 per cent completion mark, raising prospects for a proper recovery in the civil aviation and tourism sectors as international travellers return to the Kingdom in increasingly large numbers. The figure

  • Chinese group tours return to Cambodia starting Feb 6

    Cambodia is among 20 countries selected by Beijing for a pilot programme allowing travel agencies to provide international group tours as well as flight and hotel packages to Chinese citizens, following a three-year ban. As the days tick down until the programme kicks off on February 6,