Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Governor blocks meeting between CNRP, councillors

Governor blocks meeting between CNRP, councillors

Opposition leader Kem Sokha (centre, standing) at a meeting with elected local leaders on Saturday in Siem Reap province
Opposition leader Kem Sokha (centre, standing) at a meeting with elected local leaders on Saturday in Siem Reap province. Facebook

Governor blocks meeting between CNRP, councillors

A scheduled meeting at a hotel between opposition leader Kem Sokha and a group of opposition commune chiefs and councillors was blocked yesterday by Kampong Chhnang Governor Chhour Chandoeun, who contended the party needed approval from the Ministry of Interior, even though no law requires such permission.

In a letter last Wednesday, the party informed the governor of the workshop scheduled for yesterday afternoon at the Raksmey Sokha New York Hotel in Kampong Chhnang district.

The workshop was purportedly aimed at strengthening commune management.

But in a letter on Friday, Chandoeun denied permission because the Cambodia National Rescue Party had no approval from the national level.

“They should request [approval] through the . . . Ministry of Interior, so when I get their consent I can approve it,” he said yesterday.

Chandoeun cited the fact that the workshop would be discussing matters at the commune level as justification for the Interior Ministry’s involvement.

However, the Law on Commune/Sangkat Administration does not require a particular party to request permission from the ministry to hold capacity-building trainings with commune chiefs and commune council members.

Keo Tha, provincial CNRP executive committee chief, said the party would still hold the training today, though it would do so at its headquarters with just half of the original 250 attendees.

After Chandoeun blocked the workshop, the hotel owner allegedly changed his mind about renting the venue to the opposition.

“We regret the provincial governor’s decision because we just want to improve the capacity of our staff,” Tha said by phone yesterday. “They are very [much] restricting our work now.”

Elsewhere, a workshop organised by rights group Adhoc in Ratanakkiri province and scheduled for this Friday was also banned. Pen Bonnar, a senior land and natural resources investigator at Adhoc, said Ratanakkiri Provincial Governor Thorn Savorn forbade the gathering.

He said Savorn had been invited to speak at the workshop, but had declined to participate.

“Then the governor did not allow us to have the workshop,” he said, adding there was a meeting today with the governor to further discuss the issue.

“We continue to advocate [with] the provincial governor,” he said.

Savorn couldn’t be reached for comment.

Additional reporting by Yesenia Amaro

MOST VIEWED

  • Serious flooding across country

    The Kampong Speu provincial Committee for Disaster Management on Wednesday issued an alert after non-stop heavy rain caused widespread flooding. In Koh Kong province, authorities are working with the disaster committee and the Cambodian Red Cross to assist those affected after more than 350 homes were

  • CNRP points to King in call for vote boycott

    Leaders of the former Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) have taken a new tack in their call for a boycott of the national elections later this month. They are now claiming that the people should follow the King, who is expected to abide by tradition

  • Actress’s NGO takes heat for promoting the ruling party

    An actress’s NGO which participated in an election campaign event contrary to the Law on Association and Non-Governmental Organisations (Lango) has been slammed. Chorn Chanleakena, a celebrity and the president of the Association of Artists Volunteering to Help Society, allegedly led its members in

  • Troop moves ‘won’t worry people’

    Senior officials at the Ministry of Defence and National Police said on Tuesday that riot training provided to the country’s police forces were aimed at preventing unexpected demonstrations and strikes before and after the July 29 national elections. The troop mobilisation, they said, would not