Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Decision delayed at tribunal

Decision delayed at tribunal

Khmer Rouge tribunal International Co-Prosecutor Nicholas Koumjian (right) and his deputy, William Smith, during closing statements in Case 002/02 on last week at the ECCC. ECCC
Khmer Rouge tribunal International Co-Prosecutor Nicholas Koumjian (right) and his deputy, William Smith, during closing statements in Case 002/02 on last week at the ECCC. ECCC

Decision delayed at tribunal

The Khmer Rouge tribunal’s co-investigating judges have delayed their decision on whether to throw out cases 003 and 004, which had been expected by the end of the month, according to a “clarification” issued by the court yesterday.

The Post revealed in May the co-investigating judges were considering dismissing the cases due to “a lack of funding”. The report sparked public outcry and renewed fears of political interference in the cases long opposed by Prime Minister Hun Sen.

Case 003 against former naval commander Meas Muth, case 004 against mid-level commander Yim Tith and Case 004/02 against Ao An, a zone secretary, are the last remaining at the tribunal, which began its operations in 2006.

Hayat Abu-Saleh, a spokesperson at the court, said no new date has been set for the decision and denied public criticism had contributed to the delay.

Co-Investigating Judge Michael Bohlander declined to comment on whether political interference was a factor in the original decision to consider dismissing the cases.

MOST VIEWED

  • Prince injured, wife dies after accident

    THE wife of former First Prime Minister Prince Norodom Ranariddh, Ouk Phalla, 39, died while the prince was “severely” injured following a road accident in Preah Sihanouk province’s Prey Nub district on Sunday morning, officials said. Rananriddh, who is also the president of the Funcinpec

  • Guards protest dismissals, reject claims of sharing naked photos of child

    Some 20 former security guards at the US Embassy in Phnom Penh protested on Tuesday against their dismissal. They accused their employers of falsely claiming they had viewed and shared child pornography from their mobile phones as grounds for their termination. In total, 32 personnel were dismissed

  • Bun Heang mocks US, threatens its citizens in scathing open letter

    After being hit with sanctions from the US Department of Treasury, Cambodian General Hing Bun Heang said he would retaliate against any US national who does not respect his country’s sovereignty, has ambitions to invade Cambodia or incites “traitors” in the Kingdom to do

  • Funcinpec urges probe into deadly Preah Sihanouk accident

    THE Funcinpec party has urged the government, especially the Ministry of Interior, to investigate the traffic accident in Preah Sihanouk province which left Prince Norodom Ranariddh badly injured and his wife Ouk Phalla dead. Funcinpec Vice President You Hokry told reporters at Botum Votey pagoda,