Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Explosive chapter in ongoing S’ville feud



Explosive chapter in ongoing S’ville feud

The remains of a car allegedly blown up in Sihanoukville
The remains of a car allegedly blown up in Sihanoukville. PHOTO SUPPLIED

Explosive chapter in ongoing S’ville feud

The long-running feud between a Sihanoukville-based Russian family and fugitive property tycoon Sergei Polonsky took another dramatic turn yesterday.

At about 4am, a Land Rover parked at the Doroshenko family home exploded.

Ostap Doroshenko, a provincial police captain and the son of Snakehouse hotel and restaurant owner Nikolai Doroshenko, claims Polonsky ordered the “attack”, an allegation the fellow Russian has vehemently denied.

Police have also said there is no evidence pointing to Polonsky’s involvement.

Doroshenko said he was on a trip to Phnom Penh with his father when the explosion occurred, but that Nikolai’s wife was home and alerted them.

By the time the father and son returned, the fire – which left the car a burnt-out wreck – had been extinguished, he added. No one was hurt.

Doroshenko claimed Polonsky had used the same “hit men” that allegedly tried to kill him last November in a street side attack.

“Maybe they [are trying to] make us scared more, maybe to kill my mum or my father,” he said.

According to Doroshenko, the November attackers sent him an encrypted email in January threatening to blow up his Land Rover.

A copy of the email seen by Post Weekend says in Russian: “Die greedy scum Doroshenko. Your Land Rover will explode”. It is unclear who sent it.

Commenting yesterday through his lawyer, Polonksy strongly denied he was behind the alleged attack, even offering to help Doroshenko protect his property.

”This is not a joke. I want him and his property safe when he finally faces the charges in the court. All that he has is basically mine,” he said in a text message.

Provincial police chief Seang Kosal said that there was no evidence to prove Doroshenko’s accusation.

“Police are investigating whether it was caused by a [deliberate] act or an electrical problem,” he said.

He said a security guard had told police no one had come near the car before the explosion.

Additional reporting by Chhay Channyda.

MOST VIEWED

  • Prince Norodom Ranariddh passes away at 77

    Prince Norodom Ranariddh, the second son of the late King Father Norodom Sihanouk and former First Prime Minister of Cambodia, has passed away in France at the age of 77. “Samdech Krom Preah Norodom Ranariddh has passed away this morning in France just after 9am Paris-time,”

  • General’s gun smuggling ring busted

    The Military Police sent six military officers to court on November 22 to face prosecution for possession of 105 illegal rifles and arms smuggling, while investigators say they are still hunting down additional accomplices. Sao Sokha, deputy commander of the Royal Cambodian Armed Forces and commander of

  • Rise in planned flights lifts travel hopes

    Six airlines have applied to resume flights in December, while two others have put in for additional flights and routes, according to State Secretariat of Civil Aviation (SSCA) head Mao Havannall on November 29. These account for 43 new weekly domestic and international flights in December, up 16

  • Cambodia, Thailand to discuss border reopening

    Cambodian authorities from provinces along the Cambodia-Thailand border will meet with Thai counterparts to discuss reopening border checkpoints to facilitate travel, transfer of products and cross-border trade between the two countries. Banteay Meanchey provincial deputy governor Ly Sary said on November 22 that the provincial administration

  • More Cambodians studying in US

    The number of Cambodian students studying at US colleges and universities in 2020-21 increased by 14.3 per cent over the previous year despite the Covid-19 pandemic, according to a recent US government report. The 2021 Open Doors report on International Educational Exchange showed that 848 Cambodian students studied

  • Hun Sen: Manet to be candidate for prime minister

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has reaffirmed that his oldest son Hun Manet will be his successor as Prime Minister if he is elected. Speaking during the inauguration of a new sewage treatment facility in Preah Sihanouk province on December 2, Hun Sen said Manet will be