Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Fugitive gives spurned ravers second chance

Fugitive gives spurned ravers second chance

KaZantip boat
Would-be kaZantip revelers cruise past the beach on Koh Puos where the festival was supposed to have been held, on a boat organised as a consolation party by Sergei Polonsky on Thursday. Griff Tapper

Fugitive gives spurned ravers second chance

Fugitive Russian oligarch Sergei Polonsky yesterday threw a raucous public party on a two-storey luxury boat as a consolation for more than 100 people shut out of the cancelled kaZantip mustic festival.

Announced on Facebook two hours before it departed Victory beach, the party, held aboard Veles, a fibreglass vessel owned by Russian boat-builder Vadim Orlov, provided a stark contrast to deflated scenes on Wednesday when revellers were turned away from the festival’s gates by police.

As the boat passed Koh Puos Island – where the planned 10-day kaZantip festival would have been held – young women pole danced to the tune of Russian techno.

“I’m not bothered,” said a 30-year-old British property developer and broker who asked to be identified only as Murray, and said he travelled from Hong Kong to attend kaZantip but was happy with the alternative.

Also aboard, a 33-year-old British soldier who identified himself as “Scally” was less forgiving, accusing the government of hypocrisy in its decision to ban the festival given the widespread immoral behaviour in bars around Sihanoukville.

“It cannot be any worse than what goes on here anyway,” he said. “This place is the last bastion of iniquity. They [the government] think they’re taking the moral high ground, but they don’t have the right to take it. Or maybe they just don’t like Russians.”

Having repeatedly changed their minds, local authorities cancelled kaZantip, previously held in Eastern Europe, calling it “indecent”.

MOST VIEWED

  • Virus tops 84 with new cases in S’ville

    The Ministry of Health on Sunday night confirmed another 31 cases of coronavirus infections, bringing the Kingdom’s total to 84 and it highest daily tally. There have been no fatalities thus far. The latest cases were found in 29 French tourists and their two Cambodian tour guides

  • Kingdom’s virus toll tops 84, Cambodians in Thailand rush home

    The Ministry of Health on Sunday night confirmed another 31 cases of coronavirus infections, bringing the Kingdom’s total to 84 and its highest daily tally. There have been no fatalities thus far. The latest cases were found in 29 French tourists and their two Cambodian tour guides

  • NBC calls for cashless payments

    The National Bank of Cambodia (NBC) has urged government ministries, financial institutions and the public to conduct cashless payments via electronic systems where possible to combat the spread of Covid-19. “To contribute to the prevention of Covid-19, the National Bank of Cambodia encourages financial institutions

  • CEO held for fraud in Siem Reap

    Over 200 individuals gathered in front of the Siem Reap Provincial Court last week to ask that Dim Suonnath, the CEO of a real estate company being held for fraud, take responsibility for compensating some 2,000 residents who invested with him. The request was denied. Suonnath responded

  • Ministry calls for home schooling

    Minister of Education, Youth and Sport, Hang Chuon Naron appealed to parents of students to provide home education in a proper environment and help them obtain more learning materials. The ministry also allowed schools to take a premature vacation after several people tested positive for

  • Cross-border deal inked to maintain trade amid Covid-19

    Cambodia and Vietnam have agreed to allow cargo trailers to enter the common Bavet-Moc Bai border, located in Cambodia’ Svay Rieng province (Bavet) and Vietnam’s Tay Ninh province (Moc Bai) after movement restrictions were enforced to prevent a Covid-19 outbreak. The decision was made