Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Go ahead and walk, city tells bus drivers



Go ahead and walk, city tells bus drivers

Go ahead and walk, city tells bus drivers

City Hall yesterday said that 11 drivers for Phnom Penh’s municipal bus lines striking for higher wages can find employment elsewhere if they find their salaries unacceptable.

Strikers yesterday gathered at the capital’s Night Market, where the newest of the city’s three bus routes begins. They are demanding between $280 and $300 per month, wages they say were previously guaranteed once three months of work passed.

Drivers for the public transit system earn $180, drivers’ representative Tieng Kimsan said.

“We cannot accept this, because our wage is only $180, and we have to pay rent and support ourselves, so we would like the government to review this again,” Kimsan said yesterday. “We work for our livelihood; if we don’t earn enough, we must protest.”

But the strike yesterday seemed to be of little concern to City Hall, whose spokesman, Long Dimanche, said drivers can find work at a different bus company.

“We will find new people to replace them if they think their wages are too little,” Dimanche said yesterday. “They can find jobs in the private sector.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting