As part of its efforts to build up national capacity, the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF), Cambodia Country Office has identified writing reports and proposals as an area for development for locally recruited staff, and wishes to engage a consultant to support selected staff in the building up of this competence. The consultancy will provide overall writing guidance, in the English language, by advising staff in the correct use of language, in the structuring of reports and proposals, and in the utilisation of styles and methods for effective communication and reporting.
Tasks and Methodology:
The consultant is envisaged to work part-time to deliver group and individual learning sessions to selected staff. Besides these face-to-face sessions, consultant would be expected to support participating staff remotely by reviewing real-life reports or proposals, and provide advice on how to improve them. Areas to address shall include:
• Different types of reports, recognizing the audience’s needs
• Creating outlines, writing a rough draft
• Applying a clear and logical structure
• Meeting the objectives of each section
• Writing summaries
• Using visual aids
• Creating reader-friendly formats
• Editing and proofreading reports
Complete Terms of Reference is available at http://www.unicef.org/cambodia/overview_20966.html
Qualifications and Experience:
• Advanced University degree in Communications or other relevant education / training in communication, especially written communication;
• 5 or more years of relevant work experience in communication, report writing, proposal writing and / or other related fields;
• Experience in teaching English as a foreign language, or carrying out training and facilitating workshops on English language communication, and working with individuals as students / clients;
• Strong knowledge and understanding of the international development environment and related reporting styles and requirements;
• Communication, presentation and facilitation skills;
• Knowledge of and experience from Southeast Asian countries and cultures, especially Cambodia;
• Fluency in English.
Duration of Contract:
Approximately 4 to 5 days per month. The total duration of the programme shall be 6 months, resulting in a total workload of approximately 25 days.
Submission of Applications:
Applications are considered only if accompanied by following required documentation:
1. Technical Proposal: Containing a concept note detailing the proposed implementation process and methodology, updated CV and Personal History Form (P11), and performance assessment/references of work performed earlier by the consultant.
2. Financial Proposal: Lump-sum offer with the cost breakdown: Consultancy fee, and any other relevant costs.
The consultancy would be best suited for applicants residing in Phnom Penh or its vicinity.
A two stage procedure shall be utilized in evaluating proposals, with evaluation of the technical proposal being completed prior to any price proposal being compared. More information contained in the ToR. The P11 form can be downloaded from our website at www.unicef.org/about/employ/index_53129.html. Regret letters will only be sent to shortlisted candidates. All applications are treated with confidentiality.
Applications shall be addressed to: UNICEF Cambodia, Supply Section, No. 11, Street 75, Sangkat Sraschark, Phnom Penh, Cambodia; or email to [email protected] Applications MUST include the title and vacancy number.
The deadline for receipt of applications is Thursday 24 October 2013 (GMT + 7 hours)