Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Internal Funcinpec woes still mounting

Internal Funcinpec woes still mounting

Internal Funcinpec woes still mounting

Tensions in the upper echelons of the royalist Funcinpec party edged ever closer to boiling over yesterday with Nhek Bun Chhay – long one of the party’s most influential figures – accusing newly returned president Prince Norodom Ranariddh of dismantling the party’s leadership and stacking it with loyalists.

While avowing that he was not against Ranariddh, second deputy president Bun Chhay said yesterday that the Prince’s alleged decision to disband the party’s central and permanent committees and replace them almost entirely with his own allies ran counter to the principle of reunification under which Ranariddh was invited back to Funcinpec after his ouster in 2006.

“I and [first deputy president] Princess [Norodom] Arun Rasmey have invited Samdech Krom Preah [Ranariddh] back to reunite royalist Sihanoukists, but when the prince came, [his] arrangement of the party is contrary to that aim,” Nhek Bun Chhay said.

The purported reshuffling, he added, had been carried out without consulting him and Arun Rasmey, and had alienated provincial party leaders.

“This is the reason that’s causing problems. Most of them do not accept it,” Bun Chhay said. “Reuniting is making additions; it is not making subtractions.”

In a letter issued on Monday, Ranariddh called on Bun Chhay and Arun Rasmey to stop their opposition, and to join forces to bring the weakened Funcinpec back to national relevance.

Ranariddh could not be reached for comment yesterday, but his spokesman, Nhep Bun Chin, maintained that the prince had not yet dismantled the party’s structure. Rather, Bun Chin added, the Prince had formed a working group tasked with preparing new party statutes in the interest of streamlining what he characterised as the party’s bloated leadership, which Bun Chin blamed for its failure to win any parliamentary seats in 2013.

“If we have zero seats, and we still continue with a leadership structure that’s too big and sloppy, we would continue [to have] zero,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Pesticide-laden cucumbers’ kill two, poison 150 in Banteay Meanchey

    At least two youths have died and 243 others are being treated for vomiting, diarrhoea, breathing difficulties, dizziness and muscle weakness after they ate cucumbers suspected to consist of pesticides. The incident happened on Saturday, said Banteay Meanchey provincial police chief Ath Khem. He told The

  • Three dead, 13 injured in collapse at Siem Reap pagoda

    At least three people were killed and more than 10 others injured on Monday after a dining hall under construction collapsed at Prasat Kokchak pagoda in Kokchak commune, Siem Reap province. Provincial police chief Tith Narong said Military Police, soldiers and local volunteers had successfully recovered 16

  • Kingdom’s domestic milk still cannot compete with imports

    Price competition and a lack of confidence by consumers are the main reasons the dairy market cannot compete with imports, said domestic milk producers. The large displays of imported fresh milk at the Kingdom’s supermarkets present a cumbersome obstacle for local producers, they said.

  • China Unicom enters Cambodia

    China Unicom, the country’s largest telecoms operator, has expanded into Cambodia to build optical telecommunication pathways in the Kingdom as part of the Belt and Road Initiative (BRI). The Hong Kong-listed company officially opened its China Unicom (Cambodia) subsidiary on Monday to become the

  • PP-SHV Expressway on track for completion in early 2023

    The construction of the $1.9 billion Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway, which broke ground at the end of March, is on track to be completed by early 2023, Ministry of Public Works and Transport spokesman Vasim Sorya said on Monday. The 190km high-speed highway linking the capital to the

  • Forest Harmony’s $18M luxury villas break ground in Kampot

    Local and French joint-venture Forest Harmony has broken ground on its $18 million “second-home” Luxury Holiday Villas project in Kampot province. Century 21 Mekong CEO and local shareholder of the project Chrek Soknim told The Post that the project will comprise 90 villa units covering 18ha on a 97