Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Beijing calls for end to ‘malicious hyping’ of tennis star controversy



Beijing calls for end to ‘malicious hyping’ of tennis star controversy

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
China’s Peng Shuai celebrates her win against Daria Kasatkina of Russia during their women’s singles first round match on day one of the Australian Open tennis tournament in Melbourne on January 16, 2017. AFP

Beijing calls for end to ‘malicious hyping’ of tennis star controversy

China on November 23 said the controversy surrounding Peng Shuai was being “maliciously” hyped up, after the Chinese tennis star made sexual assault claims against one of the nation’s most powerful politicians.

Peng, a Wimbledon and French Open doubles champion, was not seen for more than two weeks after she made the accusations against former vice-premier Zhang Gaoli.

The 35-year-old Peng reappeared in public for the first time at the weekend when she was seen attending a Beijing tennis tournament.

“I think some people should stop deliberately and maliciously hyping up, let alone politicise this issue,” said foreign ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian in response to a question on whether the case affected China’s international image.

Beijing will host the Winter Olympics in February.

“I believe you have all seen that she recently attended some public events and had a video call with IOC [International Olympic Committee] president Thomas Bach,” Zhao added.

The comment was the most direct response from the Chinese government to Peng’s case.

Until November 23, Beijing had repeatedly brushed off questions about her whereabouts and welfare – calling them “not a diplomatic issue”.

Evidence of her claims have also been scrubbed from China´s highly censored Internet.

The Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) has threatened to end lucrative contracts with China unless it gets word of Peng’s safety.

Peng appeared in a 30-minute video call with the IOC chief on November 21.

The organisation said in a statement that during the call, “Peng Shuai thanked the IOC for its concern about her well-being”.

“She explained that she is safe and well, living at her home in Beijing, but would like to have her privacy respected at this time,” it said.

Earlier on November 21, Peng was seen attending a Beijing tennis tournament, in official photos of the event.

But human rights groups and sporting authorities overseas have continued to voice concern about Peng and whether local authorities will act on her allegations.

“This video does not change our call for a full, fair and transparent investigation, without censorship, into her allegation of sexual assault, which is the issue that gave rise to our initial concern,” the WTA said, when asked about the IOC call.

Human Rights Watch also slammed the IOC and called for them to explain how the video call with Peng had been organised.

“The IOC has vaulted itself from silence about Beijing´s abysmal human rights record to active collaboration with Chinese authorities in undermining freedom of speech and disregarding alleged sexual assault,” said Yaqiu Wang, senior China researcher at Human Rights Watch.

“The IOC appears to prize its relationship with a major human rights violator over the rights and safety of Olympic athletes.”

Peng, a two-time Grand Slam doubles champion, alleged earlier this month that Zhang, now in his 70s, “forced” her into sex during an on-off relationship spanning several years.

Following a global outcry, including from tennis superstars and the UN, Chinese state media reporters have released a flurry of footage purporting to show all is well with Peng.

Peng’s claims against Zhang were the first time China’s #MeToo movement has touched the highest echelons of the ruling Communist Party.

MOST VIEWED

  • Prince Norodom Ranariddh passes away at 77

    Prince Norodom Ranariddh, the second son of the late King Father Norodom Sihanouk and former First Prime Minister of Cambodia, has passed away in France at the age of 77. “Samdech Krom Preah Norodom Ranariddh has passed away this morning in France just after 9am Paris-time,”

  • General’s gun smuggling ring busted

    The Military Police sent six military officers to court on November 22 to face prosecution for possession of 105 illegal rifles and arms smuggling, while investigators say they are still hunting down additional accomplices. Sao Sokha, deputy commander of the Royal Cambodian Armed Forces and commander of

  • More Cambodians studying in US

    The number of Cambodian students studying at US colleges and universities in 2020-21 increased by 14.3 per cent over the previous year despite the Covid-19 pandemic, according to a recent US government report. The 2021 Open Doors report on International Educational Exchange showed that 848 Cambodian students studied

  • Cambodia, Thailand to discuss border reopening

    Cambodian authorities from provinces along the Cambodia-Thailand border will meet with Thai counterparts to discuss reopening border checkpoints to facilitate travel, transfer of products and cross-border trade between the two countries. Banteay Meanchey provincial deputy governor Ly Sary said on November 22 that the provincial administration

  • Banteay Meanchey gunfight sees 15 Thais arrested, three officers injured

    The Banteay Meanchey Military Police have arrested 15 Thai suspects and their accomplices after a gun battle between two Thai groups caused injuries to three police officers in the early hours of November 21, local authorities said. National Military Police spokesman Eng Hy said that according to

  • Locally-trained commercial pilots to lift Cambodia’s aviation standard

    The Kingdom is boosting its civil aviation sector with the establishment of a flight school with a local airline to meet growth demands once air travel recovers At 22, First Officer Reachta Lim is the youngest commercial pilot in Cambodia. He flies with the national flag