Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Beijing to ‘work with’ Asean over South China Sea



Beijing to ‘work with’ Asean over South China Sea

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
China's premier Li Keqiang (2nd from left) said the first reading of the document was 'a very important landmark'. AFP

Beijing to ‘work with’ Asean over South China Sea

Beijing on Sunday said it is “ready to work” with Southeast Asian nations on a code of conduct in the South China Sea, where it is accused of bullying fellow claimants and building up military installations.

China claims most of the resource-rich waterway, a major global shipping route and long a source of tension among claimants in Southeast Asia.

The 10-member Asean has been locked in talks for a code of conduct for the sea, where China is accused of deploying warships, arming outposts and ramming fishing vessels.

The agreement, set to be finished in 2021, will set out conduct guidelines for the sea along with conflict resolution parameters.

On Sunday, Chinese Prime Minister Li Keqiang said the first reading of the document – a chance for all members to comment on the draft terms – was “a very important landmark”.

“We stand ready to work with Asean countries building on the existing foundation and the basis to strive for new progress” on the guidelines, he said.

He added that China wanted to “maintain and uphold long-term peace and stability in the South China Sea”.

Chinese state-owned Xinhua News Agency reported Li as saying that the agreement was completed ahead of schedule, with the Chinese side proposing that the talks be completed in the next two years.

Tensions have flared in recent weeks between China and Vietnam, one of Beijing’s most vocal critics over the sea.

Hanoi hit back at China after it sent a survey ship into waters inside its Exclusive Economic Zone and around islands claimed by both Hanoi and Beijing.

The ship left after several weeks in the area.

The Philippines, Taiwan, Malaysia and Brunei also have overlapping claims with China in the sea.

The agreement would see the region develop a code of conduct for the disputed area, which has increasingly become regional flashpoint since 2015, drawing in foreign nations to intervene.

The US has accused China of bullying behaviour in the sea, and US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said last week the US has been too easy on China.

“We hesitated and did far less than we should have,” he said, referring to China’s disputes with Vietnam and the Philippines.

MOST VIEWED

  • Purging Sihanoukville’s past with a new masterplan

    Amid illicit activities, haphazard development and abandoned projects, the coastal city of Sihanouk province needs a reset to move forward. A new masterplan might be the answer to shake off its seemingly mucky image to become the Shenzhen of the south Gun toting, shootouts, police

  • Chinese may be first in tourism revival: PM

    Cambodia's tourism industry is gearing up to roll out the red carpet for Chinese travellers after Prime Minister Hun Sen on September 17 indicated that the Kingdom could soon throw open its doors to international holidaymakers vaccinated against Covid-19 – starting with guests from China. Cambodia Chinese

  • 'Pursue your goals, reach out to me': Young diplomat tapped as envoy to South Korea

    Chring Botum Rangsay was a secretary of state at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation before being designated as the new Cambodian ambassador to South Korea. According to her official CV published on the foreign ministry’s website, she started her first government

  • Tourism concerns laid bare

    To ensure the success of plans to reopen the tourism market for international visitors, Cambodia must pay utmost attention to two primary determinants – the ongoing paradigm shift in domestic tourism services towards the ‘new normal’, and the factors influencing choices of destinations among foreign holidaymakers.

  • Covid jab drive for 6-11 age group to begin Sept 17

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has permitted Covid-19 vaccinations for over 1.8 million children aged 6-11 across the country from September 17 in order for them to return to school after a long hiatus. Hun Sen also hinted that vaccinations for the 3-6 age group will follow in

  • No ‘Crown Prince’ exists to buy France football club: ministry

    The Ministry of the Royal Palace has denied media reports that a Cambodian “Crown Prince” had purchased the AS Saint Etienne football club of France’s top-flight LIGUE 1 at the cost of €100 million ($117 million). In a press statement on September 19, the ministry stressed that Cambodia