Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Brexit David Frost quits UK government



Brexit David Frost quits UK government

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The weekly paper reported that Frost handed in his resignation a week ago but was persuaded to stay on until the New Year. AFP

Brexit David Frost quits UK government

Former Brexit negotiator David Frost on December 18 resigned from the government with immediate effect, topping a torrid week for British Prime Minister Boris Johnson after a party rebellion on new coronavirus curbs and by-election humiliation.

Frost, a trusted ally of the prime minister, sent his resignation letter following reports that he was to leave his post in January.

“It is disappointing that this plan has become public this evening and in the circumstances I think it is right for me to write to step down with immediate effect,” he said in the letter, published by Johnson’s Downing Street office.

Frost told Johnson he had “concerns about the current direction of travel” regarding coronavirus regulations and tax rises.

Johnson responded that he was “very sorry” to receive the resignation, “given everything you have achieved and contribute to this government”.

The Mail on Sunday earlier reported that Frost had handed in his resignation more than a week ago, but had been persuaded to stay on until the New Year.

Johnson is already reeling from a rebellion by 100 of his lawmakers in a parliamentary vote over coronavirus measures and the stunning loss of a 23,000-majority seat in a by-election.

That was partly blamed on a slew of reports that his staff and aides had held parties last Christmas despite virus restrictions in place at the time.

The by-election loss for Johnson’s Conservatives intensified speculation of a leadership challenge.

Frost recently came 2nd in a poll of most popular ministers held by ConservativeHome, an influential blog read by the grassroots Tories who could end up deciding Johnson’s replacement.

The deputy leader of the main opposition Labour party Angela Rayner said the resignation demonstrated “a government in total chaos right when the country faces an uncertain few weeks.

“@BorisJohnson isn’t up to the job. We deserve better than this buffoonery,” she tweeted.

Conservative member of Parliament Andrew Bridgen warned Johnson was “running out of time and out of friends to deliver on the promises and discipline of a true Conservative government.

“Lord Frost has made it clear, 100 Conservative backbenchers have made it clear, but most importantly so did the people of North Shropshire,” he wrote on Twitter.

And Arlene Foster, who stepped down as Northern Ireland’s (NI) first minister because of post-Brexit trading arrangements in the UK province, said it had huge implications.

“The resignation of Lord Frost from the Cabinet is a big moment for the Government but enormous for those of us who believed he would deliver for NI,” she wrote on Twitter.

Frost told Johnson in his resignation letter: “I hope we will move as fast as possible to where we need to get to: a lightly regulated, low-tax, entrepreneurial economy.

“We also need to learn to live with Covid and I know that is your instinct too,” he said, in apparent reference to the new measures introduced by the government the previous week.

MOST VIEWED

  • Siem Reap drain canal now ‘mangrove’ promenade

    A more than half a kilometre long stretch of canal in Siem Reap has been covered and turned into a promenade to attract visitors, said Ly Rasmey, secretary of state at the Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction, on September 16. The new pedestrianised

  • Angkor wildlife, aquarium park still to open October

    The Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium complex about 30km southeast of Siem Reap town with initial total investment of more than $70 million is reportedly still on track for an end-October opening. The park is located on a 100ha plot along National Road 6 in Kbon village, Khchas

  • Final verdicts for Khmer Rouge leaders ‘vital’ for next generation

    Nearly a decade after the commencement of Case 002/02 against Khieu Samphan back in 2014, the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia (ECCC) is now set to deliver its final verdict for the former Khmer Rouge head of state. The Supreme Court Chamber of the ECCC,

  • Typhoon Noru brings flash floods – 16 dead

    An official warned that that the 16th typhoon of the season, Noru, had brought heavy rains to areas the Mekong River and flooded thousands of homes in the provinces bordering Thailand. As of September 27, the death toll from the flooding had risen to 16. National Committee

  • Defence minister reaffirms Kingdom’s staunch support for One-China policy

    Minister of National Defence General Tea Banh has reaffirmed Cambodia’s unwavering support for the One-China policy. Tea Banh was speaking at the September 20 ceremonial handover of 117 vehicles and other military equipment donated by China’s defence ministry, held at Phnom Chumreay International Military Training

  • Deaths due to ‘lifestyle’ diseases rise in Kingdom

    The Ministry of Health has called on people to pay closer attention to their health to protect themselves from non-communicable diseases (NCDs) which it said have caused high rates of deaths in the country. Ministry secretary of state York Sambath made the call at a