Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Close watch of entertainment venues after Bangkok cluster



Close watch of entertainment venues after Bangkok cluster

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Bangkok governor Aswin Kwanmuang announced on April 5 the closure of all entertainment venues in Khlong Toei, Wattana (Thong Lor and Ekkamai) and Bang Khae districts until April 19, after 118 people who visited entertainment venues in these areas tested positive for the virus. The Nation (Thailand)

Close watch of entertainment venues after Bangkok cluster

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) is ensuring that entertainment venues and restaurants in the Thai capital are strictly following regulations on opening and closing hours to curb Covid-19 from spreading further after a new cluster of cases was found relating to entertainment venues earlier this week.

Bangkok governor Aswin Kwanmuang announced on April 5 the closure of all entertainment venues in Khlong Toei, Wattana (Thong Lor and Ekkamai) and Bang Khae districts until April 19, after 118 people who visited entertainment venues in these areas tested positive for the virus.

BMA permanent secretary Silapasuay Raweesangsoon said: “We have been dispatching officials to inspect restaurants and entertainment venues such as pubs and bars in other districts to make sure they close at 9pm.

“Owners must also employ Covid-19 preventive measures, including installing thermal screening checkpoints, enforcing the wearing of face masks, providing hand sanitising gels or a washing station, cleaning public surfaces regularly and maintaining social distancing practices.

“The BMA inspected 14,166 restaurants, pubs and bars in the province from March 1 to April 1.

“During the Songkran Festival [April 10-15], we will increase the frequency of inspection at bus terminals to ensure that people travelling to and from their hometowns follow Covid-19 preventive measures,” she added.

THE NATION (THAILAND)/ASIA NEWS NETWORK

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants