Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Concern grows over insufficient funding for Rohingya




Concern grows over insufficient funding for Rohingya

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Refugee camps near Bangladesh's border with Myanmar already had about 300,000 Rohingya before the upsurge in violence and are now overwhelmed. AFP

Concern grows over insufficient funding for Rohingya

After the failure of the second repatriation attempts for Rohingyas, concerns have risen again about insufficient international funding to face the refugee crisis with donors possibly shifting their resources to support other issues.

About two-thirds of the funding appealed for in the UN’s 2019 Joint Response Plan for the Rohingyas in February is still unmet and its December deadline is looming close.

The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs said $330 million was received as of Friday, 36 per cent of the $920 million requested.

The refugees have been relying on the Bangladesh government and international humanitarian aid since the Rohingya influx began two years ago, but the delay in repatriation and lack of funding is exacerbating their vulnerability by the hour.

“If they stay longer, they won’t be in comfort. We have already spent around Tk2,500 crore [$295.3 million] from our funds.

“If the donors aren’t interested to fund the humanitarian crisis, there will be problems. Those who are not willing to go should rethink it now for the sake of their future,” Foreign Minister AK Abdul Momen said.

Over 743,000 Rohingya have fled from Rakhine State since August 25, 2017. They joined the 300,000 others who had earlier fled to Bangladesh.

The Inter Sector Coordination Group (ISCG), in an update on the current response plan on Wednesday, said that as of July 31 the most well-funded sectors were education, with 35 per cent of the requested funding met, followed by food security at 33 per cent, and 31 per cent of water and sanitation.

No funding was yet reported towards the emergency telecommunications sector, while the health sector is only 13 per cent funded, said the ISCG, a combination of UN agencies and international humanitarian groups dealing with the Rohingya crisis in Cox’s Bazar.

‘Competitive area’

Economist Hossain Zillur Rahman said fund flow was a competitive area. “There are some more crises around the world, like in Syria and African countries. Natural calamities can also shift the attention of donors.

“They [international donors] might lose interest in the Rohingya issue,” the executive director of non-government organisation Coast Trust Rezaul Karim said.

Earlier on Wednesday, 61 international NGOs labelled funding commitments for the Rohingyas insufficient and said the international community must respond and stand beside Bangladesh to improve the refugees’ living conditions and allow Rohingyas and host communities to live in dignity.

“With shrinking funds and continued restrictions on refugees’ access to education and livelihoods, the crisis is likely to worsen,” said a statement of the NGOs, adding that the conditions in the camps remained dire and there were growing concerns about safety and security.

Development experts have also pointed out that the already-stretched resources ought to be used more efficiently.

Cox’s Bazar CSO-NGO Forum co-chair Rezaul said the humanitarian operations for the Rohingyas should be more cost-effective as their repatriation may take time.

He said globally international NGOs operate through local NGOs and that reduces the operational and management costs.

Around 1,300 expatriates are involved in the humanitarian operations and they use around 600 SUVs and cars every day making the operation expensive, he said.

On the impact of falling international funding for humanitarian assistance, Bangladesh’s Refugee Relief and Repatriation Commissioner Mohammad Abul Kalam said, “We have to make an evaluation.

“Some of the agencies in Australia and the United Kingdom are yet to make their announcement. After that, we will be able to know the real picture.”

This is, however, not the first slow response to funding. For the first phase from September 2017 to February 2018, about 73 per cent of $434 million requested by the UN was met.

In the second phase between March to December 2018, it was 71 per cent of $950 million.

“The Rohingya issue is simultaneously a humanitarian and geopolitical crisis. Who will take its burden? Insufficient funding is an indication that it is on Bangladesh,” Zillur said.

The Cox’s Bazar locals had already expressed displeasure over housing the refugees and host communities were complaining that the Rohingyas had started to engage in the local economy.

Rohingyas are not allowed to work in Bangladesh, but they often work as day labourers or fishermen, said locals. They have also lowered the wage rate in the area.

“If the humanitarian assistance drops, it [Rohingyas going out in search of work] will increase,” Hossain Zillur said. The Daily Star

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Potential shield’ for virus hangs in balance

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) suspended trials of the drug that US president Donald Trump has promoted as a coronavirus defence, fuelling concerns about his handling of the pandemic that has killed nearly 100,000 US citizens. Trump has led the push for hydroxychloroquine as a potential

  • Gov’t rolls out stimulus to keep businesses afloat

    The government has introduced the fourth round of stimulus measures aimed at ensuring economic and social stability during the outbreak of the Covid-19 disease. The move, which was announced on Tuesday, is designed to help businesses, factories and enterprises to stay afloat while reducing the

  • E-cigarette back in spotlight amid virus pandemic

    The Ministry of Health’s Department of Communicable Disease (DCD) department has released a video about the effects of smoking, while the NGO Cambodia Movement for Health (CMH) warned against the use of electronic cigarettes or vape. The short video clip that was posted on

  • Por Sen Chey woman murdered

    Por Sen Chey district police are searching for a suspect who robbed and killed a woman in a rented room in Samraong Kraom commune in Phnom Penh at 6:30pm on Monday. Deputy district police chief Chea Sovann told The Post on Tuesday that the victim,

  • Police chief: remove all roadblocks

    National Police chief Neth Savoeun warned Phnom Penh and provincial police chiefs to remove all roadblocks, saying that traffic police officials in some provinces had tightened traffic law implementation against guidelines. In a leaked voice message which was shared on social media on Tuesday, Savoeun

  • Man held for violating daughter and niece

    Kandal Anti-Human Trafficking and Juvenile Protection Department officers sent a man to the provincial court on Tuesday after arresting him the day before for allegedly molesting his daughter and niece in Sa’ang district. Department chief Ros Savin said the 30-year-old construction worker was questioned