Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Desperate wait after deadly Japan rains



Desperate wait after deadly Japan rains

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A damaged house is shown in a flood hit area of Kumano, Hiroshima prefecture, on Monday. Rescue workers in Japan battled to reach residents trapped after devastating rains killed at least 75 people, as authorities warned about the risk of landslides. matthew bureau/afp

Desperate wait after deadly Japan rains

In the devastated Japanese town of Kumano, Kosuke Kiyohara sat quietly, watching rescue workers push through the debris of battered homes and waiting for news of his missing sister and nephews.

“I have asked my family to prepare for the worst,” the 38-year-old said quietly, sitting across from a house that had been ripped apart and tossed on its side by a huge landslide.

“I haven’t been able to reach her phone since Friday night.”

Dozens of people remain missing across parts of central and western Japan ravaged by days of record rainfall that has caused flooding and landslides and killed at least 100 people.

Kiyohara’s 44-year-old sister and her two young sons were still missing beneath the wreckage of what was once a modern neighbourhood in Kumano, a town in Hiroshima known for brushmaking.

Her husband had already been rescued and taken to hospital, but there was no sign of the woman and their children.

Kiyohara, who looked exhausted, had trekked to the area from his nearby home in a neighbouring area that was relatively untouched by the disaster.

“I first came here on Saturday, and I immediately thought about the worst case scenario,” he said.

“I just have to wait,” he added, as his father milled around restlessly, watching rescue workers including police, firemen and troops. “I wish she could have fled sooner.”

On Monday morning, days of rain finally eased, and the bright sunlight laid bare the destruction caused by the rains.

In Kumano, the downpours loosened earth on the surrounding hillsides, and sent multiple waves of mud crashing down onto the homes below.

The road to the affected area remained impassable, but handfuls of residents made it back, escorted by rescue workers or troops.

Some burst into tears, cradling their faces in their hands as they saw the remains of their district.

The sounds of diggers and chainsaws being used to break up fallen trees cut through the air, and a dog barked from inside a house.

Around 100 people were working to move downed power poles and break up larger pieces of debris, including entire homes that had been ripped up and tossed around.

Rescue workers said it was still possible that survivors could be found, but acknowledged the odds were getting longer.

“It has been three days... It’s possible that survivors will be found, but as the days pass the likelihood becomes slimmer,” a soldier at the scene told AFP.

“We are removing debris and destroyed houses because there is a possibility that remains might be trapped underneath them,” added the soldier, who declined to give his name.

“We have no idea how long it is going to take. We are also digging manually. If it rains again, another disaster could occur.”

Naoaki Ogawa, 69, was among the luckier residents returning Monday, his home still standing and apparently undamaged.

But he described a terrifying last-minute escape on Friday night, as the landslide hit.

He was at home with his wife, adult daughter and nine-year-old grandson when they saw a wave of mud rush down towards the neighbouring house, carrying vehicles and trees along with it.

“Right before the first wave, I heard a very loud, rumbling sound from the mountains,” he said. “We immediately jumped in the car.”

But the sole road out of the neighbourhood was already clogged with people trying to flee, and flying rocks began to hit the car.

“I turned the car to the right, and saw another wave of mud bulldoze down right where we were and sweep away three cars that were in front of me.”

“I have lived here for more than 20 years, but there has never been something like this. Never. I was so scared. We were all scared.”

With no way out, the family stayed in the car until rescuers arrived later that night, and moved them to a shelter.

On Saturday, Ogawa’s birthday, they moved to a relative’s house.

“It was the best birthday ever. I could have died at 68 years old and 364 days,” he said.

Seeing his home, the laundry still hanging from a line on the balcony, Ogawa said he had mixed feelings.

“My house was OK. But I can’t be just happy. What about my neighbours?” he said. “I want to go back to my home and live a normal life, but I’m also afraid that this could happen again.”

When he returned to his home on Monday, he found his mobile phone inside, full of missed calls from friends and family worried about his whereabouts.

“I forgot to bring it with me,” he said.

“So many people called. I want to tell them that I am OK. I am well.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants