Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Duterte signs order capping retail prices of medicines




Duterte signs order capping retail prices of medicines

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte signed an executive order (EO) that would set a maximum retail price on selected medicines. AFP

Duterte signs order capping retail prices of medicines

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has signed an executive order (EO) that would set a maximum retail price on selected medicines.

Senate Health Committee chair Senator Christopher “Bong” Go, Duterte’s long-time aide, made the announcement in an interview on Quezon City-based DZMM Radyo Patrol on Monday morning. “President Duterte already signed the EO.”

The Department of Health (DoH) previously proposed the regulation prices of over 120 drugs used to treat several diseases and health conditions such as hypertension, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, chronic lung diseases, neonatal diseases or those affecting newborn babies and major cancers.

Under the Maximum Drug Retail Price scheme, the price of selected medicines is expected to have an average price reduction of 56 per cent from current market prices.

“This has been a law for so many years now,” Go said, referring to Republic Act No 9502, or the Universally Accessible Cheaper and Quality Medicines Act of 2008, which provides for the imposition of a limit on prices of medicines.

“We all know that a lot of Filipinos need medicines. They have no choice but to buy these medicines even if they are expensive so that they can live longer. Like medication for diabetes, hypertension, cancer and other medicines,” Go added.

Duterte also appointed former Philippine Health Insurance Corporation (PhilHealth) acting president Roy Ferrer as DoH assistant secretary.

Ferrer was among those appointed this month along with several others, according to a list of presidential appointees released on Monday.

Ferrer resigned from PhilHealth in June 2019 following controversies hounding the state insurance firm, involving the alleged funding of bogus dialysis treatment for patients who are already dead.

Duterte, however, cleared Ferrer of any wrongdoing as he did “not have the slightest doubt about the integrity and honesty” of the official.

The list of new appointees include former Intercontinental Broadcasting Corporation president Katherine “Kat” De Castro who was appointed board director at the People’s Television Network, Inc; Attorney Lorna Kapunan who was named Cultural Centre of the Philippines board member; and DoH spokesperson Eric Domingo who was appointed Food and Drug Administration director-general after serving as it’s officer-in-charge since May.

Meanwhile, former presidential spokesperson Harry Roque is set to file before the Office of the Ombudsman a case of graft against six more PhilHealth officials for alleged issuance of fake receipts to overseas Filipino workers.

“On Wednesday, we will file another case against the corrupt officials of PhilHealth to ensure that when an epidemic strikes, they will not feast on funds meant for the treatment of the sick,” he said in an interview with radio station Radyo Inquirer on Monday.

Roque said an overall revamp is needed in the senior executive level of the agency and not only to previous members of the board of directors who were earlier asked by Duterte to submit courtesy resignations when the ghost dialysis treatment scheme was unearthed.

He reiterated that the top leadership in PhilHealth was the real “mafia” in the agency.

In August, Roque, one of the primary authors of the Universal Health Care Law in the House of Representatives, also filed graft and other complaints before the Office of the Ombudsman against former and current officials of PhilHealth over alleged irregularities that involved 90 million pesos ($1.8 million) in government funds.

PHILIPPINE DAILY INQUIRER/ASIA NEWS NETWORK

MOST VIEWED

  • School reopening to be postponed until November

    Minister of Education Hang Chuon Naron on Tuesday wrote to Prime Minister Hun Sen requesting a delay of school reopening across the Kingdom until November, when the new academic year begins. In his letter, Chuon Naron said the postponement is warranted to avoid the new

  • Foreigners in Kingdom must now register in FPCS system

    The Ministry of Interior’s General Department of Immigration (GDI) announced that it would not grant visa extensions to foreigners staying in Cambodia if their names are not listed on the Foreigners Present in Cambodia System (FPCS) by July 1. Foreign nationals can register in the

  • Covid-19 at ‘alarming rate’, health ministry says

    The Covid-19 risk level for individual transmission is at an “alarming rate” in the Kingdom and its probability is “not low”, warned Health Ministry spokesperson Or Vandine. “Cambodia’s coronavirus scenario is classified as being at an early stage of the pandemic because of ongoing

  • Mandatory quarantine for 30,000 workers begins

    Some of the roughly 30,000 workers from factories and enterprises across the Kingdom who went on leave during Khmer New Year began their government-imposed 14-day quarantine on Monday. Speaking at a press conference while visiting workers at the Phnom Penh Special Economic Zone on Monday, Ministry

  • Unemployed to get $40 per month

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training has instructed enterprises, business owners and travel agencies in five provinces to prepare the proper forms for the suspension of employment contracts. This, it said, will make it easier for the ministry to transfer $40 a month to workers

  • Gov’t travel ban flouted

    While the majority of Cambodians have paid heed to Prime Minister Hun Sen’s order to stay put and not travel during the Khmer New Year – the holidays of which were also postponed – several hundred have left Phnom Penh nonetheless. They have allegedly breached provincial

  • G20 energy ministers struggle to finalise oil output cuts

    Top oil producers struggled to finalise production cuts during a virtual summit held by Group of 20 (G20) energy ministers on Friday, despite US President Donald Trump’s mediation efforts to end a standoff with Mexico. The final G20 communique appeared to gloss over simmering divisions

  • Kingdom revises travel restriction order

    The government on Friday eased the district and provincial border restrictions issued on Thursday. People are now allowed to cross districts within their provinces. Phnom Penh and Kandal province are to be treated as a single region where people are allowed to travel freely. In

  • Private schools struggling

    The Cambodian Higher Education Association has claimed that 113 private educational establishments are facing bankruptcy because of their inability to pay rent and staff salaries in light of nationwide school closures caused by the Covid-19 outbreak. It said the financial trouble started when the Ministry of

  • Khmer New Year holidays postponed

    In an effort to halt Covid-19 infections in the Kingdom, Prime Minister Hun Sen has postponed the Khmer New Year holidays scheduled from April 13 to 16. While the people will not have their usual break, nor will there be any public celebrations or gatherings at pagodas,