Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - EU says Britain needs fresh plan for Brexit as clock running out




EU says Britain needs fresh plan for Brexit as clock running out

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has warned French President Emmanuel Macron he will not delay Brexit beyond October 31. PETER SUMMERS/AFP

EU says Britain needs fresh plan for Brexit as clock running out

European officials warned on Monday that Britain’s latest Brexit proposal cannot serve as the basis for a breakthrough before next week’s Brussels summit.

And with no draft deal on the table before the October 17 meeting, Britain and Europe will face either a chaotic breakup or yet another Brexit delay.

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has insisted he will not ask to postpone Britain’s planned October 31 departure from the EU.

But he may be forced to do so by a British law aimed at preventing a no-deal divorce, which would be potentially calamitous economically.

European negotiators are warning that time is running out.

Johnson’s envoy, senior diplomat David Frost, was in Brussels on Monday for more “technical talks”, while Brexit minister Stephen Barclay travelled to The Hague to meet Dutch officials.

Both heard that the latest British plans to impose alternative customs arrangements on Northern Ireland, to be reviewed every four years by the provincial assembly, are unlikely to convince.

“I think we all agree we need a workable solution now and not something based on untried and revocable arrangements that would be left to negotiation during the transition period,” EU spokeswoman Mina Andreeva said.

“As we have also recalled, the UK proposals presented last week do not meet at present the objectives of the protocol on Ireland and Northern Ireland,” she said, referring to negotiating terms agreed in 2017.

“This is not only the shared view of the European Parliament, but also all member states,” she added.

Meanwhile, after a “frank and honest” discussion with Barclay, Dutch foreign minister Stef Blok said “more realism and clarity” would be needed from London if talks are to go much further.

Earlier, in an interview with Le Monde, chief EU negotiator Michel Barnier warned that if London “does not come back with new proposals on the two serious problems we have indicated to them, I cannot see how we can move forward”.

Despite the divisions, Frost met with EU officials for technical talks on Monday. He plans to stay in Brussels to work up a legal text.

“They agreed to continue talks tomorrow,” a UK spokesman said.

“Following hours of discussions last week, the UK provided additional legal text today. This provided further technical detail on customs and goods regulations to further clarify how the UK’s proposals would operate.”

In London, junior Brexit minister James Duddridge told parliament he was “optimistic” that negotiations would begin in earnest, arguing: “Where there’s a will there’s a way.”

If there is no draft agreement by Friday, European officials warn, there will be no time to get

member states to sign off on it before October 17-18, the last scheduled European summit before Brexit day.

Britain insists its offer represents significant concessions, and now the EU must show similar flexibility, but Brussels is adamant it will not agree to any plan that undermines its single market or leaves Ireland exposed.

‘Soften its position’

On Sunday, Barclay suggested London could be willing to soften its position on Northern Ireland, describing last week’s suggestion as “a broad landing zone” rather than a final take-it-or-leave-it offer.

But during telephone talks with Johnson on Sunday, French President Emmanuel Macron made it clear that the EU would decide by the end of this week whether a deal is possible.

Johnson wants Northern Ireland’s devolved assembly – which has been suspended for almost three years – to vote every four years on whether to maintain EU regulations or default to UK law.

The province would leave the EU customs union along with the rest of the UK, with checks on trade to rely on untried technological solutions away from the sensitive border.

Separately, British anti-Brexit campaigners failed to secure a court ruling forcing Johnson to seek a Brexit extension in the event of a no deal.

“We will obey the law and that we will leave on October 31,” Number 10 said. “The manner in which this policy is lawfully achieved is a matter for the government.”

MOST VIEWED

  • School reopening to be postponed until November

    Minister of Education Hang Chuon Naron on Tuesday wrote to Prime Minister Hun Sen requesting a delay of school reopening across the Kingdom until November, when the new academic year begins. In his letter, Chuon Naron said the postponement is warranted to avoid the new

  • Foreigners in Kingdom must now register in FPCS system

    The Ministry of Interior’s General Department of Immigration (GDI) announced that it would not grant visa extensions to foreigners staying in Cambodia if their names are not listed on the Foreigners Present in Cambodia System (FPCS) by July 1. Foreign nationals can register in the

  • Covid-19 at ‘alarming rate’, health ministry says

    The Covid-19 risk level for individual transmission is at an “alarming rate” in the Kingdom and its probability is “not low”, warned Health Ministry spokesperson Or Vandine. “Cambodia’s coronavirus scenario is classified as being at an early stage of the pandemic because of ongoing

  • Mandatory quarantine for 30,000 workers begins

    Some of the roughly 30,000 workers from factories and enterprises across the Kingdom who went on leave during Khmer New Year began their government-imposed 14-day quarantine on Monday. Speaking at a press conference while visiting workers at the Phnom Penh Special Economic Zone on Monday, Ministry

  • Unemployed to get $40 per month

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training has instructed enterprises, business owners and travel agencies in five provinces to prepare the proper forms for the suspension of employment contracts. This, it said, will make it easier for the ministry to transfer $40 a month to workers

  • Gov’t travel ban flouted

    While the majority of Cambodians have paid heed to Prime Minister Hun Sen’s order to stay put and not travel during the Khmer New Year – the holidays of which were also postponed – several hundred have left Phnom Penh nonetheless. They have allegedly breached provincial

  • G20 energy ministers struggle to finalise oil output cuts

    Top oil producers struggled to finalise production cuts during a virtual summit held by Group of 20 (G20) energy ministers on Friday, despite US President Donald Trump’s mediation efforts to end a standoff with Mexico. The final G20 communique appeared to gloss over simmering divisions

  • Kingdom revises travel restriction order

    The government on Friday eased the district and provincial border restrictions issued on Thursday. People are now allowed to cross districts within their provinces. Phnom Penh and Kandal province are to be treated as a single region where people are allowed to travel freely. In

  • Private schools struggling

    The Cambodian Higher Education Association has claimed that 113 private educational establishments are facing bankruptcy because of their inability to pay rent and staff salaries in light of nationwide school closures caused by the Covid-19 outbreak. It said the financial trouble started when the Ministry of

  • Khmer New Year holidays postponed

    In an effort to halt Covid-19 infections in the Kingdom, Prime Minister Hun Sen has postponed the Khmer New Year holidays scheduled from April 13 to 16. While the people will not have their usual break, nor will there be any public celebrations or gatherings at pagodas,