Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Extended lockdown essential amid ongoing challenges: Lao PM



Extended lockdown essential amid ongoing challenges: Lao PM

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Lao Prime Minister Phankham Viphavanh. LAO NEWS AGENCY

Extended lockdown essential amid ongoing challenges: Lao PM

A continuation of the existing tough measures to contain the coronavirus outbreak is essential, Lao Prime Minister Phankham Viphavanh has said in a clear reference to the nationwide lockdown.

The government has extended the lockdown for another 15 days until May 20.

The overall number of Covid-19 cases remains high, the premier said in a statement issued on May 5. On May 6, Laos recorded 105 new cases bringing the total number to 1,177 cases. The country is struggling to contain the current community outbreak of the virus which began in the middle of last month.

“The government is aware that extending measures will cause difficulties in people’s daily lives,” Phankham said. “But we ask everyone to understand the situation and to be patient so that we may control and eventually overcome this virus outbreak.”

He pledged that the government would do all it could to create conditions that would enable people to gradually normalise their lives as far as possible. In addition, the government will introduce policies that will reduce the payment of various fees.

“Although these policies won’t meet the requirements of all sectors and people, it is the government’s intention to help in these times of hardship,” he said.

The government, the National Taskforce for Covid-19 Prevention and Control and local taskforces will follow up and closely monitor the situation with a view to easing restrictions in areas where the situation is favourable. But restrictions will be toughened in places where the outbreak escalates, the prime minister said.

With the overall number of infections remaining high, authorities have prepared makeshift hospitals across the country to ensure sufficient treatment facilities. In Vientiane alone, three makeshift hospitals with 1,200 beds have been prepared.

Phankham admitted that there were challenges undermining the government’s efforts to curb the outbreak. He said some people refused to be admitted to a health facility after testing positive for Covid-19, which created problems for authorities in charge. In addition, the information provided is sometimes unclear so that officials spend a lot of time trying to trace people who test positive.

Some people continue to break the rules on Covid-19 prevention measures, as reflected by the fact that people in some places had organised traditional festivals or gatherings in violation of the rule on large public gatherings. In light of these issues, the premier called for strict compliance with all government guidelines.

The premier expressed heartfelt gratitude to everyone who had had generously assisted the government in the battle against the virus outbreak.

Central authorities have received 9.5 billion kip ($1.02 million), $13.18 million and 4.68 million baht ($151,000) from various entities for the purchase of Covid-19 vaccines and supplies. In addition, friendly countries have provided equipment worth hundreds of billions of kip.

VIENTIANE TIMES/ASIA NEWS NETWORK

MOST VIEWED

  • Typhoon Noru brings flash floods – 16 dead

    An official warned that that the 16th typhoon of the season, Noru, had brought heavy rains to areas the Mekong River and flooded thousands of homes in the provinces bordering Thailand. As of September 27, the death toll from the flooding had risen to 16. National Committee

  • Siem Reap drain canal now ‘mangrove’ promenade

    A more than half a kilometre long stretch of canal in Siem Reap has been covered and turned into a promenade to attract visitors, said Ly Rasmey, secretary of state at the Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction, on September 16. The new pedestrianised

  • Angkor wildlife, aquarium park still to open October

    The Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium complex about 30km southeast of Siem Reap town with initial total investment of more than $70 million is reportedly still on track for an end-October opening. The park is located on a 100ha plot along National Road 6 in Kbon village, Khchas

  • Defence minister reaffirms Kingdom’s staunch support for One-China policy

    Minister of National Defence General Tea Banh has reaffirmed Cambodia’s unwavering support for the One-China policy. Tea Banh was speaking at the September 20 ceremonial handover of 117 vehicles and other military equipment donated by China’s defence ministry, held at Phnom Chumreay International Military Training

  • Deaths due to ‘lifestyle’ diseases rise in Kingdom

    The Ministry of Health has called on people to pay closer attention to their health to protect themselves from non-communicable diseases (NCDs) which it said have caused high rates of deaths in the country. Ministry secretary of state York Sambath made the call at a

  • Thai Senate delegates in Cambodia to discuss anti-graft co-op

    A delegation from Thailand's Senate was in Phnom Penh on September 28 to meet their Cambodian counterparts to discuss strategies for fighting corruption and enhancing cooperation. The Thai delegates were from its Senate’s Committee on Studying and Inspecting Corruption, Misconduct and Strengthening Good Governance. They