Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Foreign soldiers pour into PNG capital for Apec meet



Foreign soldiers pour into PNG capital for Apec meet

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The Australian warship HMAS Adelaide moors off Port Moresby, the host city for the upcoming Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (Apec) summit from November 17. ness kerton/afp

Foreign soldiers pour into PNG capital for Apec meet

PAPUA New Guinea has deployed a multi-national force of warships, fighter jets and elite counter-terrorism troops to protect world leaders attending a major summit in its crime-plagued capital this week.

About 4,000 military personnel, around half of them foreign, will work with hundreds of police to patrol Port Moresby for the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (Apec) forum from Saturday, which will attract representatives from 21 nations.

Attendees are set to include China’s President Xi Jinping, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and US Vice President Mike Pence, who is not even expected to sleep in the city, but stay overnight in Australia.

Up to 15,000 delegates are expected at the summit. Due to a shortage of hotel accommodation, many of them will bunk down on three cruise liners docked at the port, presenting additional security complications.

Although the threat posed by terrorism in PNG is considered minimal, the Melanesian country’s reputation for lawlessness and violent crime precedes it.

About half the capital’s 300,000 people live in squatter settlements, and it was ranked fourth-last in this year’s Economist Intelligence Unit list of the world’s most liveable cities.

Feared street gangs known as “raskols” have made car jackings common and the country has among the highest rates of rape and domestic violence in the world.

To ensure delegates are safe, the government has enlisted military help from Australia, the US and New Zealand.

Canberra is bankrolling much of the security operation.

It has sent a 1,500-strong Australian Defence Force (ADF) contingent, along with RAAF F/A-18 Super Hornet fighters, surveillance aircraft and a helicopter carrier moored in Port Moresby harbour.

Vessels from Australia, New Zealand and the US will guard the capital’s shores, and all three countries have provided special forces.

Working alongside them in an operation that has taken more than a year to plan will be about 2,000 Papua New Guinea troops.

‘Don’t be alarmed’

A headline in the Post-Courier newspaper last week proclaimed an “Apec Invasion”, although Joint Security Task Force (JSTF) chief Commissioner Gari Baki told Port Moresby residents the foreign troops were nothing to worry about.

“I would like to reassure the community that they should not be alarmed,” he said, noting the international force was “here at our request”.

The government has passed laws allowing international security personnel to use lethal force if necessary to deal with an “imminent threat” during the summit.

Former PNG defence force chief Jerry Singirok has raised concerns the move impinges on the country’s sovereignty.

But Canberra-based military think tank the Australia Defence Association said if developing nations such as Papua New Guinea did not accommodate foreign security contributions, they would never be able to host major events like the Apec summit.

“That wouldn’t be good from a strategic level or a political level,” executive director Neil James said.

Hospitals vs Maseratis

The government views the summit as a rare opportunity to showcase Papua New Guinea to the world and attract investment to the poorest of Apec’s 21 member nations.

“It’s a major undertaking, but it’s very important when it comes to promoting the country economy-wise,” said Justin Tkatchenko, the minister responsible for planning the summit.

More than a third of Papua New Guinea’s 8.5-million population lives below the poverty line, while tribal and political violence is a recurring problem, particularly in the Highlands region.

Port Moresby itself has been given a facelift for the summit, with major infrastructure projects – many funded by China.

Outside the capital, economic growth driven by the development of resources has stalled, leaving the vast majority of the population with poor basic services such as health and education.

Many have questioned why vast sums are being spent on Apec – including 40 Maserati cars worth more than $150,000 each – when provincial hospitals are struggling with chronic shortages of medical supplies.

But Treasurer and Deputy Prime Minister Charles Abel said making a positive impression at Apec, which collectively accounts for 60 per cent of global GDP, could make a difference.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants