Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Koreas set to restore severed cross-border communications



Koreas set to restore severed cross-border communications

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
US Special Representative for North Korea Sung Kim (left) speaks with South Korean Minister of Unification Lee In-young in Seoul on June 22. POOL/AFP

Koreas set to restore severed cross-border communications

North and South Korea signalled a surprise thaw in relations on July 27, announcing the restoration of cross-border communications that were severed more than a year ago and an agreement between their two leaders to improve ties.

The joint announcement, which coincided with the anniversary of the end of the Korean War, was the first positive development since a series of summits between the North’s Kim Jong-un and the South’s President Moon Jae-in in 2018 failed to achieve any significant breakthrough.

The two sides revealed that Kim and Moon had exchanged a series of letters since April in which they agreed that re-establishing hotlines would be a productive first step in rebooting relations between the two rivals who, despite the end of their 1950-1953 conflict, remain technically at war.

“The top leaders of the north and the south agreed to make a big stride in recovering the mutual trust and promoting reconciliation by restoring the cut-off inter-Korean communication liaison lines,” the North’s official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) reported.

Pyongyang unilaterally cut off all official military and political communication links in June last year over activists sending anti-Pyongyang leaflets across the border, but the two sides said all lines were restored on July 27.

They exchanged their first phone call since the suspension on the morning of July 27, Seoul’s unification ministry said, with the defence ministry adding that military hotlines were also back to normal operation.

Moon’s office said restoring the hotlines was the first step towards improving ties. “The two leaders also agreed to restore mutual trust between the two Koreas as soon as possible and move forward with the relationship again,” it added in a statement.

The dovish Moon is credited with brokering the first-ever summit between North Korea and a sitting US president in Singapore in June 2018.

But Pyongyang largely cut off contact with Seoul following the collapse of a second summit between Kim and then US president Donald Trump in Hanoi that left nuclear talks at a standstill.

Just days after severing the hotlines last year, Pyongyang also blew up an inter-Korean liaison office on its side of the border and threatened to bolster its military presence along the Demilitarised Zone that separates them.

The US welcomed the agreement.

“We certainly believe that this is a positive step,” Department of State spokeswoman Jalina Porter told reporters.

“Diplomacy and dialogue are central to achieving complete denuclearisation and establishing permanent peace on the Korean peninsula,” she said.

Since US President Joe Biden took office, Pyongyang and Washington have adopted a wait-and-see attitude to relations following the diplomatic roller-coaster ride under Trump that produced three summits but no agreement on dismantling the North’s nuclear arsenal.

Kim last month said Pyongyang needed to prepare for both “dialogue and confrontation” with Washington – but with a particular emphasis on the latter.

The White House promised a “practical, calibrated approach” – including diplomatic efforts – in a recent review of its strategy to persuade the impoverished North to give up its nuclear weapons and missile programmes.

Sung Kim, the top US diplomat in charge of North Korea negotiations, last month said Washington was ready to meet with Pyongyang “anywhere, anytime, without preconditions”.

But Kim Yo-jong – Kim Jong-un’s sister and one of his key advisers – dismissed the offer.

MOST VIEWED

  • WHO: Covid in Cambodia goes into new phase

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia said that Cambodia has reached a new phase of the pandemic with “decreasing case numbers, high vaccination coverage and a more transmissible circulating variant threatening a hidden surge”. In a press release on September 6, the WHO said that

  • Purging Sihanoukville’s past with a new masterplan

    Amid illicit activities, haphazard development and abandoned projects, the coastal city of Sihanouk province needs a reset to move forward. A new masterplan might be the answer to shake off its seemingly mucky image to become the Shenzhen of the south Gun toting, shootouts, police

  • 'Pursue your goals, reach out to me': Young diplomat tapped as envoy to South Korea

    Chring Botum Rangsay was a secretary of state at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation before being designated as the new Cambodian ambassador to South Korea. According to her official CV published on the foreign ministry’s website, she started her first government

  • International air visitor arrivals dip 93%

    The number of foreign tourists entering Cambodia through the Kingdom’s three international airports witnessed a sharp 92.5 per cent year-on-year decline in the first seven months of this year, according to the Ministry of Tourism. The airports handled 51,729 international tourists in the January-July period versus

  • School reopening ‘offers model for other sectors’

    World Health Organisation (WHO) representative to Cambodia Li Ailan said school reopening process should be used as a role model for reopening other sectors currently mothballed by the Covid-19 pandemic. Li strongly supports the government’s decision to reopen schools, saying it is a decision

  • Tourism concerns laid bare

    To ensure the success of plans to reopen the tourism market for international visitors, Cambodia must pay utmost attention to two primary determinants – the ongoing paradigm shift in domestic tourism services towards the ‘new normal’, and the factors influencing choices of destinations among foreign holidaymakers.