Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Lao UXO body seeks more fund allocation for victim assistance



Lao UXO body seeks more fund allocation for victim assistance

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Laos’ National Regulatory Authority for UXO and Mine Action (NRA) is continuing to seek funding for its operations because the budget allocated to victim assistance is very limited. VIENTIANE TIMES

Lao UXO body seeks more fund allocation for victim assistance

Laos’ National Regulatory Authority for UXO and Mine Action (NRA) is continuing to seek funding for its operations because the budget allocated to victim assistance is very limited.

Minister for Labour and Social Welfare and NRA chairman Dr Khampheng Saysompheng reported on the matter during an annual meeting to review progress made in the authority’s work plan for 2020 victim assistance.

The work plan is part of the new UXO National Strategic Plan “Safe Path Forward III” (2021-2030) in alignment with Sustainable Development Goal 18 and the 2030 Agenda.

Dr Khampheng said the strategy will form the basis on which the 5-Year National Plan is developed. It is essential to ensure that unexploded ordnance (UXO) is mainstreamed across all sectors through the nationally endorsed SDG-18, “Lives Safe from UXO”.

UXO continues to be an obstacle to economic and social development, contaminating land that could otherwise be used for agriculture, industry, tourism and the construction of infrastructure.

The NRA’s UXO victim assistance programme takes place alongside community awareness-raising and risk education campaigns in target areas. The NRA, with support from donor countries, provided support to 64 UXO victims and survivors this year, including medical care for 34 people and vocational training for 30 others.

The new five-year (2021-2025) UXO strategy aims to provide more comprehensive support to UXO survivors and their families.

Dr Khampheng said vast tracts of land remain contaminated with UXO, amounting to about 10,000ha. All of this must be surveyed and cleared of UXO so that development can go ahead.

One of the major challenges for the government is sourcing funding for clearance operations.

The meeting reviewed and drafted an improved defined clearance operational framework and clearance methodologies to increase productivity and enhance safety, effectiveness and efficiency.

Last year there were 19 UXO-related accidents in which 34 people were injured and some deaths were reported. UXO surveys and clearance are currently underway in Xieng Khuang, Khammuan, Savannakhet, Saravan, Xekong and Attapeu provinces.

More public awareness-raising activities will be carried out in a bid to reduce the number of UXO casualties to less than 40 a year.

VIENTIANE TIMES/ASIA NEWS NETWORK

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting