Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Leaders of Apec split after US, China spat



Leaders of Apec split after US, China spat

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Chinese President Xi Jinping arrives for a family photo during the APEC Summit in Port Moresby on Saturday. AFP

Leaders of Apec split after US, China spat

Asia-Pacific leaders on Sunday failed to bridge gaping divisions over trade at a summit dominated by a war of words between the US and China as they vie for regional influence.

For the first time, Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation leaders were unable to agree on a formal written declaration amid sharp differences between the world’s top two economies over the rules of global trade.

“You know the two big giants in the room. What can I say?” said host and Papua New Guinea’s Prime Minister Peter O’Neill, conceding defeat.

Canada’s Prime Minister Justin Trudeau admitted the failure came down to “different visions on particular elements with regard to trade that prevented full consensus”.

Sources said going into the meeting the US had pressed for the leaders to issue what amounted to a denunciation of the World Trade Organisation (WTO) and a call for its wholesale reform.

That demand was a step too far for Beijing, which would likely get less preferential treatment under any changes.

O’Neill indicated the WTO had been a sticking point in agreeing a joint communique.

“Apec has no charter over the World Trade Organisation. That is a fact,” he said. “Those matters can be raised at the World Trade Organisation.”

The spat ramps up the stakes for a crunch meeting between presidents Donald Trump and Xi Jinping at a G20 summit in Argentina at the end of the month.

O’Neill denied it was a humiliation for his poverty-hit country, which was hosting the annual gathering of the 21 nations for the first time.

As tensions boiled over, police were called when Chinese officials attempted to “barge” into the office of PNG’s foreign minister in an eleventh-hour bid to influence a summit draft communique, said three sources with knowledge of the situation.

Chinese foreign ministry official Zhang Xiaolong denied the incident, telling reporters: “It’s not true. It’s simply not true”.

Even before the summit started, tensions between the two big hitters came to the fore with Xi and US Vice President Mike Pence crossing swords in competing major policy speeches.

Pence warned smaller countries not to be seduced by China’s massive Belt and Road infrastructure programme, which sees Beijing offer money to poorer countries for construction and development projects.

The “opaque” loans come with strings attached and build up “staggering debt”, Pence charged, mocking the initiative as a “constricting belt” and a “one-way road”.

In a speech to business leaders just minutes before Pence, Xi insisted the initiative was not a “trap” and there was no “hidden agenda” – amid criticism that it amounts to chequebook diplomacy in the region.

‘A very forced situation’

Xi also lashed out at “America First” trade protectionism, saying it was a “shortsighted approach” that was “doomed to failure”.

Pence told reporters on Sunday: “I spoke to President Xi twice during the course of this conference. We had a candid conversation.”

He told him the US is interested in a better relationship with China “but there has to be change” in Beijing’s trade policies.

With fears that a trade war between the two rivals could cripple the Pacific Rim economy, some attendees voiced concern about the growing rivalry for influence in the region.

“Business leaders do not want to speak out, but behind the scenes here, they are talking over dinner saying: ‘How has this happened?’” said Denis O’Brien, the billionaire chairman of Digicel.

“It’s a very forced situation, one country is trying to force all the other countries to change tariffs agreed over years,” O’Brien said.

Trump – and Russian President Vladimir Putin – both decided to skip the gathering, leaving the spotlight on Xi who arrived two days early to open a Chinese-funded school and road in Papua New Guinea’s dirt-poor capital Port Moresby.

Xi has been the star of the show, front and centre at official photos whereas Pence, by choice and because he carries a lower rank of protocol, has kept a lower profile, only deciding at the last minute to stay overnight in Port Moresby – shelving original plans to fly in and out from Cairns in Australia.

As if to counter Chinese largesse, the US, Australia, New Zealand and Japan on Sunday announced a project to boost electricity capacity in Papua New Guinea.

And as the US and China tussle for influence in the region, the statement dangled the prospect of similar projects for countries that “support principles and values which help maintain and promote a free, open, prosperous and rules-based region.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting