Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Libya nabs ‘suspect’ in murder of 30 migrants



Libya nabs ‘suspect’ in murder of 30 migrants

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Rescued migrants wait on board a Libyan coastguard vessel as it arrives at a naval base in the capital Tripoli. AFP

Libya nabs ‘suspect’ in murder of 30 migrants

One of the “main suspects” in the murder in Libya of 30 mostly Bangladeshi migrants last year was arrested on March 1, authorities in Tripoli said.

In May last year, the family of a human trafficker killed by migrants for unknown reasons allegedly avenged his death by killing 26 Bangladeshis and four migrants of African origin.

The massacre took place in May in the city of Mezdah, more than 150km south of Libya’s capital. Eleven other migrants were wounded.

One of the alleged killers, 23, was arrested on March 1 in Gharyan, around 100km southwest of the capital, the unity government’s interior ministry said in a statement.

Wanted by the authorities, “he confessed his crime” under questioning, the ministry said, without revealing his identity.

Minister of Interior Fathi Bashagha said: “Just after the tragic attack of May 2020, I ordered the local authorities in Mezdah to issue arrest warrants against those responsible for the murders.

“The arrest of the main suspect is a major victory,” he said, calling it “proof” that such crimes could not be committed with impunity in Libya.

The affair had caused outrage in Bangladesh, which demanded Libyan authorities investigate the murders, bring the perpetrators to account and compensate relatives.

A Bangladeshi accused of heading a trafficking ring with “links to international traffickers implicated in this incident” was arrested in the Asian nation’s capital Dhaka in June last year.

The episode highlighted the trafficking of young people from Bangladesh, via Libya and onwards on death-defying boat journeys towards Europe.

Tens of thousands of Bangladeshis have attempted to cross the Mediterranean in recent years, giving Libyan smugglers a large market for extortion.

Years of chaos following the 2011 ouster and killing of dictator Moamer Kadhafi have made Libya a key launchpad for migrants from Asia, East Africa and the Sahel seeking to reach Europe.

Several thousand are stranded in deplorable conditions in Libya.

Tripoli’s Government of National Accord has for years vied of control of Libya with a rival administration in the east.

A multitude of armed groups and foreign forces exercise considerable clout on the ground.

Both are in the process of being replaced by a new interim government selected in a UN-backed process and mandated to lead the country to elections in December.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and