Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Many oppose May’s Brexit plan



Many oppose May’s Brexit plan

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Conservative Party member of parliament Jacob Rees-Mogg speaks at a fringe event hosted by the Brexit Central website in Birmingham on Sunday. BEN STANSALL/AFP

Many oppose May’s Brexit plan

While British Prime Minister Theresa May is doggedly defending her Brexit plan, delegates at her party’s annual conference have joined the EU in writing it off – and suggest her own time in office is limited.

Conservative party members queued for two hours on Sunday to see leading Brexiteer Jacob Rees-Mogg denounce May’s “Chequers plan” for close economic ties with the EU, one of half a dozen events he is addressing in Birmingham.

Across town, several Tory Eurosceptic MPs joined former UK Independence Party (UKIP) leader Nigel Farage in demanding a clean break with the EU, at a rally attended by around 500 people waving British flags.

Similar crowds are expected at a conference event on Tuesday with former minister Boris Johnson, a rival for May’s job who has condemned her plan as “deranged”.

“The prime minister is completely out of touch with the majority of party members,” Michael Wilkins, 53, told AFP at the rally.

Many eurosceptic Tories want May to ditch her plan for Britain to follow EU rules for goods, and instead secure a looser free trade agreement for after Brexit in March next year.

May insists her way is the only one that protects manufacturing supply lines and keeps open the border between Northern Ireland and Ireland.

After EU leaders in Salzburg last month rejected the plan, she demanded they show her “respect” in a defiant statement that went down well with party members.

“It was the sort of vigour we have been wanting to see from her,” said Alexandra Philips, a former UKIP member who is now a member of the Conservatives.

‘Clean break’

Many of her critics have accused May of a lack of enthusiasm over Brexit, citing the fact she opposed leaving the EU in the 2016 referendum.

“It is stupid that after the biggest vote we have had in British history, we’ve got someone in charge who didn’t believe in it,” said Stuart Lloyd, 50, from near Birmingham, at the rally.

He backed Johnson as a new leader, and “if not him, someone with those kind of views”.

Inside the conference centre, among the stalls for Conservative key rings, coasters and tea towels, discussion of Brexit and May’s future is on everybody’s lips.

“I don’t want Chequers, it keeps us part of the common market. We want a clean break,” said Imelda Dixon, 71, from Derby in central England.

She accused May of failing to acknowledge the reality around her, saying: “It’s the general election all over again. Me, me, me – I just want her to listen to the people, but she’s not.”

During the campaign for last year’s disastrous snap election, in which the Conservatives lost their parliamentary majority, May refused to accept she had made a mistake in a key policy on social care.

However, many delegates are wary of the chaos it might unleash to change leaders now.

‘Acting like children’

May gave a speech and took questions in a private meeting with delegates on Sunday morning, and one party member said she had changed his mind.

“I’m not a great fan of Chequers but after hearing her, I’m prepared to give her a chance,” said Martin Williams, a 32-year-old councillor in Somerset, western England.

He added: “I’m a great supporter of Boris but . . . we need to stop acting like children.”

Outside the conference centre, hundreds of people holding signs saying “Bollocks to Brexit” and “It’s not too late” held a march calling for a second referendum.

One protester, former Conservative London councillor Nicholas McLean, lamented the influence hardliners had on his party.

“Boris Johnson, Jacob Rees-Mogg, there’s a long list of people who see the issue from a blinkered point of view, not at all realistic – they have betrayed the party,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmission after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours. Addressing the public from his residence after an emergency meeting, Hun Sen said: "I dub it February 20 Community Event, in which 32 cases

  • Cambodia's cluster cases jump to 259

    The Ministry of Health on February 27 recorded 26 more cases of Covid-19 linked to the February 20 community transmission, bringing the total to 259 in one week. The 26 include three Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. The ministry noted that five of the Chinese