Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - MRG: Pygmies attacked in DR Congo wildlife park



MRG: Pygmies attacked in DR Congo wildlife park

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A ranger stands guard at the Kahuzi-Biega National Park. AFP

MRG: Pygmies attacked in DR Congo wildlife park

Troops and rangers in the Kahuzi-Biega National Park in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo have carried out attacks on indigenous Pygmies living in the famed wildlife haven, a rights watchdog said on Wednesday.

Violence broke out in 2018 between park rangers and members of the Batwa community, who are accused of illegally settling in the reserve, cutting down trees to make charcoal and opening fire on rangers, killing and wounding a number of them.

The British watchdog Minority Rights Group (MRG), in a report on Wednesday, alleged that soldiers and Kahuzi-Biega guards carried out attacks against the Pygmies living in the park.

“The attacks were well-planned, targeted civilian populations,” the group said.

“The research team obtained direct evidence of the deaths of at least 20 individual Batwa community members in connection with this three-year campaign of forced expulsion,” it added.

“The research team obtained direct evidence that 15 Batwa women were forcibly group-raped by park guards and soldiers during the July and November-December 2021 operations,” the watchdog said.

The 6,000-sq km reserve lies close to the Rwandan border near Bukavu, in one of the most troubled areas of the vast country.

Dominated by the extinct volcanoes of Kahuzi and Biega, the park’s tropical forests are a redoubt for one of the last populations of eastern lowland gorillas, made up of about 250 primates, according to its website.

Since the 1990s, the haven has been listed by UNESCO as a World Heritage site in danger because of the presence of armed groups and settlers, poaching and deforestation.

A number of Pygmies charge that their land was confiscated when the national park was expanded and want to recover what they say is theirs.

The MRG report, based on on-site investigation and dozens of witnesses, said the park rangers received financial and technical support at the time from the governments of Germany and the United States, as well as international conservation organizations such as the Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS).

WCS said in a statement it condemned violence like that alleged and called for an independent investigation into the claims of abuses in the Kahuzi-Biega National Park.

“If the allegations are true, these were illegal and horrific military attacks on DRC’s own citizens. WCS has never played a role in supporting or facilitating such heinous acts,” it said.

An investigation has recently been launched by the park’s overseers, the Congolese Institute for the Conservation of Nature (ICCN), to probe alleged violations.

The panel has been in Bukavu since April 4 and will travel to the scene of the alleged crimes, Georges Muzibaziba, who heads the ICCN’s human rights section.

There is a lack of legal clarity between DR Congo’s laws that protect the national park and those guaranteeing the rights of the Pygmy populations.

On April 7, 2021, a bill to protect and promote the rights of indigenous people was adopted by the DR Congo parliament.

It guarantees among other things recognition of the rights to land and natural resources of the indigenous Pygmy people to possess, occupy and use traditionally.

The Senate has been reviewing the bill for the last year.

MOST VIEWED

  • All Covid restrictions for inbound travellers lifted

    Cambodia has apparently taken the final step towards full reopening of the country without Covid-19 restrictions by removing all requirements for inbound travellers, who until now had to show health certificates indicating that they have tested Covid-19 negative in the past 72 hours as well as

  • Typhoon Noru brings flash floods – 16 dead

    An official warned that that the 16th typhoon of the season, Noru, had brought heavy rains to areas the Mekong River and flooded thousands of homes in the provinces bordering Thailand. As of September 27, the death toll from the flooding had risen to 16. National Committee

  • Cambodia stands firm on 5PC: No invite for Myanmar to ASEAN Summit this year

    Cambodia has not invited Senior General Min Aung Hlaing, chairman of Myanmar’s ruling State Administration Council (SAC), to the 40th and 41st ASEAN Summit and related meetings scheduled for next month in Phnom Penh. The government will instead invite a non-political representative from Myanmar

  • Mushrooming borey projects and home financing – a cause for concern?

    A spurt in housing developments is typically a sign of a growing economy but underneath all that might lay some anxiety of credit growth as developers offer financing to buyers at higher rates, an activity the central bank identifies as ‘shadow banking’ Earlier this year,

  • Thai Senate delegates in Cambodia to discuss anti-graft co-op

    A delegation from Thailand's Senate was in Phnom Penh on September 28 to meet their Cambodian counterparts to discuss strategies for fighting corruption and enhancing cooperation. The Thai delegates were from its Senate’s Committee on Studying and Inspecting Corruption, Misconduct and Strengthening Good Governance. They

  • Hun Sen’s rare visit to Cuba: What’s going on?

    Back on August 17, Prime Minister Hun Sen announced that he would deliver a speech at the 77th UN General Assembly (UNGA) at the UN headquarters in the US’ New York City, visit Cuba and attend the state funeral of the slain Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo