Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - North Korea may seek ‘new path’ of weapons build-up



North Korea may seek ‘new path’ of weapons build-up

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
North Korean leader Kim Jong-un declared last month an end to moratoriums on nuclear and intercontinental ballistic missile tests. AFP

North Korea may seek ‘new path’ of weapons build-up

Pyongyang on Tuesday warned that it could seek a “new path” and accelerate its weapons programme, after Washington imposed fresh sanctions on North Korean companies amid stalled nuclear talks.

North Korean representative Ju Yong Chol told the Conference on Disarmament in Geneva that his country’s efforts to improve relations with Washington had been met with hostility.

“Although the US is talking about the resumption of dialogue, it has no intention at all from the beginning to drop its hostile policy towards the DPRK [Democratic Republic of Korea],” he said.

“The DPRK will steadily develop strategic weapons essential and prerequisite for national security until the US abandons its hostile policy and lasting and durable peace . .. is in place on the Korean peninsula,” he said.

He said the scope of the build up would depend on the “future attitude” of the US.

Pyongyang has previously fired missiles capable of reaching the entire US mainland, and has carried out six nuclear tests, the last of them 16 times more powerful than the Hiroshima blast, according to the highest estimates.

North Korean leader Kim Jong-un declared in December an end to moratoriums on nuclear and intercontinental ballistic missile tests, which had been a centrepiece of two years of diplomacy with US President Donald Trump.

Trump and Kim have held three meetings since a landmark summit in Singapore in June 2018, where the two men signed a vague statement on denuclearisation.

But negotiations have been deadlocked since a second summit collapsed in Hanoi last year over sanctions relief and what the North would be willing to give up in return.

Earlier in January, the US announced that it was freezing any US assets of two companies for exploiting North Korean overseas labour, making any transactions with them a crime, in a UN-backed bid to curb Pyongyang’s cash flow.

US officials said in 2017 that North Korea had some 100,000 overseas workers, bringing in $500 million a year.

If the US “persists in imposing sanctions and pressure against my country, we may be compelled to seek a new path for defending our sovereignty and supreme national interests”, Ju said.

“As it became clear now that the US remains unchanged in its ambitions to block the development of the DPRK and stifle its political system, we have found no reason to be unilaterally bound any longer by the commitment that the other party fails to honour,” he said.

Ju did not specify which specific commitments he was referring to, but the US Ambassador to the disarmament body, Robert Wood, told reporters he found the comments “quite concerning”.

“I hope that they are not talking about moving away from that agreement that was reached by President Trump and Chairman Kim in 2018,” he said.

“What we hope is that they will do the right thing, and come back to the table and try to work out an arrangement whereby we can fulfil that pledge that was made by President Trump and chairman Kim to denuclearise.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmission after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours. Addressing the public from his residence after an emergency meeting, Hun Sen said: "I dub it February 20 Community Event, in which 32 cases

  • Cambodia to make auto-rickshaws

    Locally-assembled electric auto-rickshaws could hit the Cambodian market as soon as early in May after the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC) gave the greenlight to an investment project at the weekend. According to a CDC press release, it will issue a final registration