Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - North Korea says fired ‘new’ ballistic missile type from sub



North Korea says fired ‘new’ ballistic missile type from sub

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
North Korea’s official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) released photos on Wednesday showing the test firing of a new type of submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM). KCNA

North Korea says fired ‘new’ ballistic missile type from sub

North Korea successfully tested a new type of submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM), state media reported on October 20 as the nuclear-armed country seeks to show off its ever-expanding military capabilities.

October 19’s test, carried out near Sinpo, the site of a major naval dockyard, came as both Koreas build up their weapons technology in what could become an arms race on the peninsula, and with Washington-Pyongyang dialogue at a standstill.

A proven submarine-based missile capability would take the North’s arsenal to a new level, allowing deployment far beyond the Korean peninsula and a second-strike capability in the event of an attack on its military bases.

The missile had “lots of advanced control guidance technologies”, the official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) said.

But it added that it was fired from the same vessel that the North used in its first SLBM test five years ago, indicating that it may only have made limited progress in its launch capabilities.

Pictures in the Rodong Sinmun newspaper showed the black and white missile emerging from calm waters trailing a column of fire and smoke, and a surfacing submarine.

Washington, Seoul, and Tokyo have condemned the launch, with all three describing it as a ballistic missile, and diplomats told AFP that the UN Security Council (UNSC) were to hold an emergency closed-door meeting later on October 20 on North Korea.

It came after Pyongyang in recent weeks tested a long-range cruise missile, a train-launched weapon and what it said was a hypersonic warhead, sparking global concern.

“We’ve seen so far five missile launches from North Korea in the past couple of months,” said Soo Kim of the Rand Corporation.

“And each test showed something ‘different’ in the way of Pyongyang’s missile capabilities. So the regime is adding more provocation tools, which isn’t exactly good news to the US, South Korea, and Japan.

“Kim wants attention, of course,” she told AFP.

The North – which invaded its neighbour in 1950 – is banned from developing nuclear weapons and ballistic missiles under UNSC resolutions, and is subject to multiple sets of sanctions as a result.

It says it needs its arsenal to defend against possible US invasion.

The White House said the test underscored the “urgent” need for dialogue with Pyongyang, with spokeswoman Jen Psaki telling a press briefing: “Our offer remains to meet anywhere, anytime, without preconditions.”

At the same time, South Korean President Moon Jae-in is pressing for a formal declaration that the Korean War is over – hostilities ceased in 1953 with an armistice rather than a peace treaty – before his term ends next year.

The North’s use of the same “8.24 Yongung” submarine that it tested five years ago means its exact sea-based launch capabilities remain unclear.

According to a 2018 analysis by the US-based Nuclear Threat Initiative think tank, the experimental vessel “appears capable of firing a single ballistic missile” and has to surface every few days, limiting its operational usefulness.

And the Pentagon and analysts say that the North’s last SLBM test in 2019 is likely to have been fired from a submerged platform.

Analysts said October 20’s images appeared to be one of the smaller missiles Pyongyang put on show at a defence exhibition last week.

International Institute for Strategic Studies researcher Joseph Dempsey said that using smaller missiles could give Pyongyang “a more feasible delivery system”, including converting its existing attack submarines to missile vessels.

“North Korea’s capability to effectively manufacture large submarines remains questionable so this approach could be more realistic,” he said.

The weapons show in Pyongyang showcased the gigantic intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) Pyongyang revealed last year, among a host of other arms.

Opening the display, leader Kim Jong-un – who has overseen rapid progress in the North’s military technology – blamed Washington for tensions, dismissing US assertions that it does not have hostile intentions.

For its part, South Korea last month tested its first SLBM, which put it among the elite group of nations that have demonstrated proven technology, and also unveiled a supersonic cruise missile.

Kim met three times with former US president Donald Trump, who boasted of stopping a war but failed to reach agreement on ending North Korea’s nuclear programme.

Talks essentially stalled after a Kim-Trump summit in Hanoi collapsed in 2019.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia to waive quarantine requirements Nov 15, no PCR test required

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has decided to lift all quarantine requirements for fully vaccinated travellers and visitors – both Cambodians and foreign nationals – effective from November 15 onward. In a special message addressed to officials and relevant authorities on November 14, Hun Sen said this policy will enable

  • PM: No more quarantine for vaccinated travellers

    Cambodia is lifting all quarantine requirements for vaccinated inbound travellers entering Cambodia by air, waterway or land border checkpoints effective from November 15. Travellers will be required to take a rapid antigen test on arrival rather than waiting for the results of the lengthier polymerase chain

  • No payment required for travellers taking rapid Covid tests on arrival

    Ministry of Health officials said there would be no payment required for the rapid Covid-19 tests given to travellers who arrive in Cambodia from November 15 onwards after the quarantine requirement is lifted for fully vaccinated people. Health ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told The Post on

  • General’s gun smuggling ring busted

    The Military Police sent six military officers to court on November 22 to face prosecution for possession of 105 illegal rifles and arms smuggling, while investigators say they are still hunting down additional accomplices. Sao Sokha, deputy commander of the Royal Cambodian Armed Forces and commander of

  • More Cambodians studying in US

    The number of Cambodian students studying at US colleges and universities in 2020-21 increased by 14.3 per cent over the previous year despite the Covid-19 pandemic, according to a recent US government report. The 2021 Open Doors report on International Educational Exchange showed that 848 Cambodian students studied

  • Cambodia, Thailand to discuss border reopening

    Cambodian authorities from provinces along the Cambodia-Thailand border will meet with Thai counterparts to discuss reopening border checkpoints to facilitate travel, transfer of products and cross-border trade between the two countries. Banteay Meanchey provincial deputy governor Ly Sary said on November 22 that the provincial administration